• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is he ok?

unequalcanoe

Meeting neighbors

Hi guys, so Little Blue here is a little fluffed up, especially at morning and at night. I read that this could be a sign of him being sick, but everything else is fine. He is just as active, sings as usual, appetite is good, maybe even better than before. Grooming is fine, and he also grooms with his friend (He's more on the receiving end though). Room temperature is around 23 Celsius (73F), which should be the optimal as I read online. He is still curious and brave. I recently started to let them out after having them for 2 weeks. He is willing to come out and walk around with some encouragement. The feces are normal as far as I can tell, and there's no discharging.

I just wanna make sure that he's ok, as I'm still new to budgies and they have only been here for 2 weeks. Any help would be appreciated!

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Does he grind his beak? Or lift his leg up? How often is he doing it? Does the other budgie do it? My budgies sometimes do this during nap time and when they start to get tired (5:30 ish).

What's his sleep pattern like? Is he sat fluffed up? It could be there is a draft or because he's sleepy he's just getting comfortable.

unequalcanoe

Meeting neighbors
Does he grind his beak? Or lift his leg up? How often is he doing it? Does the other budgie do it? My budgies sometimes do this during nap time and when they start to get tired (5:30 ish).

What's his sleep pattern like? Is he sat fluffed up? It could be there is a draft or because he's sleepy he's just getting comfortable.
I have actually never seen him using the cuttlebone, even when he was not fluffed up a couple of days ago. He never lifts his leg up when he's awake or taking a nap. I cover his cage and put him in a dark room at night, so I don't really know if he does that during the sleep. I put them to "bed" at 8:30 and my alarm clock, which may wake them up, goes off at 6:30. I uncover them at around 7:00. The room is not really sound proof. I'll put them in a quieter den as soon as my heating lamp is shipped.

The cage is close to the winder, but the other budgie is not fluffed up.

I just took another look. Now that he's fully awake, the upper feather has gone down. The blue down feature is still up though

Reactions: Jas

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
If it is just the one bird that is fluffed up perhaps an avian vet check is a good idea.

I was going to say sleep schedule and draft but it might be the individual or diet since it's only affecting one bird.

Is there any bullying going on, the tail feathers look rather rough or are they moulting? By blue down what do you mean?

unequalcanoe

Meeting neighbors
It's actually not strictly just Little Blue. There was one day when he was more streamline and Little Yellow was more fluffed up. The whole fluffing-up thing has only been going on for four days, so I guess that's also worth mentioning. Also, Little Blue was naturally more fluffy than Little Yellow. Plus, he doesn't spend as long time grooming himself compared with Yellow.

My other hypothesis is that Blue is more active, so he needs more sleep. I'm not sure about the sleeping quality before 11 as we are still talking and everything, but there's no loud noise. The sleep will get better when I'm able to move them to the more soundproof room.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Sleep might be the culprit here, do they nap throughout the day?

unequalcanoe

Meeting neighbors
Sleep might be the culprit here, do they nap throughout the day?
They do nap, mostly after lunch. Do they ever nap with their eyes fully closed? Both of them just open and close their eyes slowly. From what I saw on youtube, that is how they nap, but I just wanna make sure.

When they are napping, is it a good idea to also cover the cage? I'm afraid this will mess up their circadian rhythm, but at the same time, it makes sense to turn off the light during nap

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you've never taken them to the vet probably a good idea to bring them in for a new bird check up.
Congrats on getting your budgies.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would get a check up too, but it could be just napping. You don’t have to cover the cage for a nap.