• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is he moulding, plucking his feathers, or is he ok?

<3birds

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Diane
So I recently got a pet canary as a gift, and so far he's been well, happy and singing. Today thought, he's very silent and he keeps ruffling his feathers and grooming them I think, I'm not sure.

I saw someone say that during their moulding periods male canaries don't sing (he's a male) and their feathers appear disheveled and out of place.

Can someone confirm if he is moulding or not? I'm not very experienced in this area, but from what I've read it's bad if they do in spring. And even worse, Im afraid he's pluckinghis feathers.

Pic for ex:

His previous owner didn't fulfill his needed living necessities, that's why I'm unusually worried!!

Attachments

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Oog, he looks beautiful! I don't know much about canaries, so I can't answer, but congrats on your beautiful bird! :) (he doesn't appear to be plucking his feathers, at least, not badly because there are no bald patches)

<3birds

Real Name
Diane
Oog, he looks beautiful! I don't know much about canaries, so I can't answer, but congrats on your beautiful bird! :) (he doesn't appear to be plucking his feathers, at least, not badly because there are no bald patches)

Wow, that's very assuring!! He seems to be fine, I just wanted to take precautions and educate myself more on the matter. He's now munching on some cauliflower and chirping at me ^^

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I, also, have never had canaries but this is a really cute bird! I don't know if you can control when they molt. I have 4 parrots and they seem to take turns molting, so that my house has lots of loose feathers year-round!! :rofl: I imagine a bookstore, like Amazon.com, would have a canary book for beginners. I'll try to tag someone with more experience...@Finchly @Zara @Mizzely

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

<3birds

Real Name
Diane
I don't know what he had, but now he's absolutely shining and he's feeling much better! He'
I, also, have never had canaries but this is a really cute bird! I don't know if you can control when they molt. I have 4 parrots and they seem to take turns molting, so that my house has lots of loose feathers year-round!! :rofl: I imagine a bookstore, like Amazon.com, would have a canary book for beginners. I'll try to tag someone with more experience...@Finchly @Zara @Mizzely

Thank you for your help! He's actually better now, I don't know what he had but there seems to be no problem atm, so far, he's been singing all day! And about the molting situation, there are no more feathers, probably just had a few loose ones? But this site is actually amazing, people are so nice to begginers such as myself :o::heart:

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Yes, there are a lot of great folks, with lots of knowledge, on this forum!! If you look in the "species" section on the Home page, there's a canary/finch section that will be helpful in the future.
Welcome to the Forum!! :birdance:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Well! I missed the whole thing!

My male canaries (I have 4 atm) go thru periods of singing and not singing. I don’t think it really means anything.

Yours does look like some feathers are ready to come off so be ready for molt! I give them Feather Fast when they are molting, it has lots of vitamins and helps them finish up quicker.

Pretty bird!