• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is garlic safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can we use Garlic spices or is that a no go?

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
I hope someone else will chime in 'cause I'm not sure about 'spices'. I have added fresh garlic to Ceddy's birdie bread veggie mix occasionally. It's OK in moderation as far as I know. But with spices (e.g. "garlic salt" etc) I'd probably want to know what else is in it. Unless it's pure dried garlic, of course.

Min

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melinda
Garlic is okay in small amounts. I use one garlic clove diced up very, very small and sometimes mix it in with three days worth of chopped veggie mash. I would never give a whole clove of garlic to a bird -- it could burn their crop. It's strong stuff. In moderation it can have antibacterial and immune system boost qualities. If it is a mix of spices, I'd also be looking at ingredients for salt content. Remember that dried spices are stronger, by weight, than fresh, because of the loss of moisture.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
This is from an article on Birdsnway Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Kitchen Physician V - Herbal Remedies For Parrots and Pet Birds
•GARLIC-- Has anti-oxidant properties as well as anti-parasitic properties which kill intestinal parasites. Protects the liver from the damage of chemical pollutants in the air and in food and water supply. Researchers at the University of Cambridge in England found that garlic juice is as strong as the antifungal drugs, Amphotericin and Nystatin, against Candida, a fungal problem sometimes found in parrots. Should be used sparingly and in the form of fresh garlic, not the concentrated garlic powder. Garlic belongs to a family of plants that may cause anemia in animals if given for long periods of time.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Thank you for that Chris! I was interested too. I love garlic so usually have enough fresh garlic in the house to ward off an army of vampires :lol: and never thought about powdered garlic.

I do know that in human treatment garlic is considered one of the most potent natural antibiotics, but for that it has to be eaten raw in huge amounts which is a No-No for birdies - pity!

Status
Not open for further replies.