• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is fridge water safe?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
The flock and I have just moved and my new house has a water/ ice dispenser on the fridge. I know it has a filter but I’m not sure exactly what it does. For now the flock has been getting bottled water but I’m wondering if I can give them the water from the fridge or if I should just get a filter for my sink water to give them

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hmmm I’m not familiar with your particular fridge but I do know that water filters need to be changed frequently to basically not only do their job but also to be safe for drinking water.
I used to have to have the filter for my house changed every six months at my last house- the water quality in the town I’m in now is better so we only have a filter on one of our taps for drinking water and that needs to be changed yearly to ensure it is working correctly and also safe. I personally prefer to use the rainwater tap for drinking water and I’ve learned over time that Burt also prefers the tank water. So all the birds are given tank water now.

I would be uncomfortable using the filtered water unless I knew the filter was recently changed and still in good working order.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Hmmm I’m not familiar with your particular fridge but I do know that water filters need to be changed frequently to basically not only do their job but also to be safe for drinking water.
I used to have to have the filter for my house changed every six months at my last house- the water quality in the town I’m in now is better so we only have a filter on one of our taps for drinking water and that needs to be changed yearly to ensure it is working correctly and also safe. I personally prefer to use the rainwater tap for drinking water and I’ve learned over time that Burt also prefers the tank water. So all the birds are given tank water now.

I would be uncomfortable using the filtered water unless I knew the filter was recently changed and still in good working order.
The whole fridge is brand new so I’m sure the filter is also new. I’m at work and can’t remember the brand of the fridge

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Hankmacaw, @Mizzely would definitely have more of an idea about filtered water and bird health so hopefully they will chime in.
I’ve heard good and bad about filtered water so I’m always a bit torn about what to think as I’ve never really looked enough into it to feel totally confident that I know what I need to know.
With the fridge being brand new I’m guessing that it might be best to run a few lots through it before using it for your birds. I always worry about reside with new things.

Fingers crossed someone more familiar with water filters can answer you better.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm in the camp of, "if it's safe for you, it's safe for the birds", when it comes to water. I'm not familiar specifically with anything wrong with filters besides the concern already mentioned about it being replaced frequently.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My 1st vet recommended filtered water. I agree tho you must keep the actual filters changed on a regular basis.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I use bottled water. I have for many years. Our water supply here is not all that consistent and has a lot of lime in it. I use either bottled spring water or bottled drinking water, which has all of the micro nutrients, but no chance of microbes.

hellobirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kasey

What sort of rainwater tap do you use? Is this something a person could DIY?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
What sort of rainwater tap do you use? Is this something a person could DIY?
I’m not quite sure how to answer your question properly as I guess it depends on where you live as to what the laws and regulations are for collecting, storing and using rain water but where I am most people in town have water tanks to collect fresh rain water regardless of if they are connected to town water or not. The house we live in now has town water for showering and such but also has a water tank specifically for drinking.
A plumber installed a pump on our water tank and a tap on our kitchen sink that is specifically for rain water and they also connected another tap for filtered town water..... our sink looks ridiculous with three taps :roflmao:

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
I just use tap. We're okay, lol..

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I use brita filtered water for Bebe.
I’m not quite sure how to answer your question properly as I guess it depends on where you live as to what the laws and regulations are for collecting, storing and using rain water but where I am most people in town have water tanks to collect fresh rain water regardless of if they are connected to town water or not. The house we live in now has town water for showering and such but also has a water tank specifically for drinking.
A plumber installed a pump on our water tank and a tap on our kitchen sink that is specifically for rain water and they also connected another tap for filtered town water..... our sink looks ridiculous with three taps :roflmao:
@Shezbug I believe what you are talking is a cistern. Cistern's collect rain water off of the roofs and hold it in tank. We had one at grandpa's farm but it was only used for washing clothes and dishes. Even with that being said we boiled the crap out it for dishes and clothes washing. The tank at the farm held about 750 gallons of water everything else came off of the well. Grandma about had couple conniption fits when she caught the boys skinny dipping in the cistern.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The directions that came with our frig when we got it new a few years ago said.....any new frig, water dispenser, filter (change every 6 months) should have 2 gallons of water run thru it before drinking the water.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Shezbug roof run off and cisterns can be dangerous in some situations. For example in a lot of North American homes they use tar and shingles on the roof so cisterns are only safe for non-potable purposes.

I think a reader should understand that a professional installed your systems. It works for you. :)

It isn't as simple as placing a bucket under your gutter and giving it to your birds :shy:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used fridge filter water for years, no problems. Bottled water isn't infallible btw, it has higher levels of micro plastics. Not saying people shouldn't use it, just that it's worth knowing everything is a tradeoff.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Our tap water here has been tasting gross so I bought a Brita filter and it removes a lot of the weird taste. I offer the brita water to all of my animals

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I run reverse osmosis, which has 4 filters, then goes to fridge where there's another filter. Our water goes through 5 filters.
Keep in mind, if you have water softner, filters won't filter out "all" the salt.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I run reverse osmosis, which has 4 filters, then goes to fridge where there's another filter. Our water goes through 5 filters.
Keep in mind, if you have water softner, filters won't filter out "all" the salt.
Yes & a softner can be hell on people w/ high blood pressure & heart issues. Also anyone that holds water in a part of their body... Diabetes & ankles can be one example but even someone that can get swelling issues off & on like me although much less so.