• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is fresh lavender safe to put inside bird cage cleaning spray?

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
I grow fresh lavender and I was curious whether or not I could put some in my bird cage cleaning spray to make their cage smell good. Is it safe?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think it would depend on what is in your spray and if there is anything in the lavender it could react with? I also don't know how much smell you would get just putting the flowers in; you would likely need to process it some using some sort of boiling and straining method, which would dilute your cleanser unless you are making your own, like 50/50 water/vinegar. You could use the lavender water to mix with the vinegar in that case.

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
I make my own spray of a one to one ratio vinegar and water. So I’ll use your suggestion. Just making sure, lavender is safe if my budgies ever inhale the smell? @Mizzely

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I make my own spray of a one to one ratio vinegar and water. So I’ll use your suggestion. Just making sure, lavender is safe if my budgies ever inhale the smell? @Mizzely
Yes lavender, even essential oils which is what you are not using here, is one of the safest things you can use :)