• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is fleece safe?

Syd

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sydney Salisbury
Hello all! I recently made a fleece flight suit for my cockatiel which she will only be wearing under supervision when we go outside. Someone told me that fleece was not safe For birds as it is toxic and because if ingested it can cause crop blockage among other issues. I was just wondering what your opinions were on the safety of this flight suit if I’m making sure that she isn’t eating any of the material.

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
Yeah fleece isn't safe, but if they are not eating it it is okay. I am not sure if that is the best material for a flight suit because flight suits should be breathable.

Syd

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sydney Salisbury
This flight suit is only intended for Going outside in cold weather. I also saw other flight suits available from the website flightquarters which were made from fleece too so I assumed it was ok. I’ll definitely be making sure she doesn’t eat any of it though!

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I would advise against it. @Aes is right and your bird should be kept inside during the cold weather. The only thing a fleece flight suit or jacket or what have you will do is disrupt their natural ability to thermoregulate with their feathers.

Though, frankly, I don't like flightsuits in the first place... Avian Fashions is a business more focused on convenience for people than welfare of birds, and personally I would never go to them for safety advice.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Fleece, if non-pill, is safe to use for things like covering a platform, making a cage cover, etc. Just make sure they don't chew on it too much. You don't want them ingesting it, but obviously that can be said about anything.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I don't think you should take your bird outside in cold weather.

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
I would just buy a flight suit. Fleece isn’t the best option and it’s softer so your cockatiel will most likely escape from it.

Reactions: Ali