• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Cypress tree toxic for parrots?

Coki

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I'm pretty sure it is not, or atleast it is not according to a local list of toxic wood for parrots I've read, but I'd like to hear your experiences!

Cupressus macrocarpa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cupressus macrocarpa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the variety I like the better is the one called "goldcrest", which has yellow colored leaves and an amazing citric-like smell.

I'm going to buy some plants for the aviary soon, and I thought these trees look amazing and could fit an aviary well.

Thanks.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Matt

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'd be interested to know this too. We had to cut down some
branches from 4 of our Cyprus trees (Castlewellan Gold variety) and it would be good to know if I can use done for the fids.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Not safe. Wiki said this in their description:

Isocupressic acid, a labdane diterpenoid, is an abortifacient component of C. macrocarpa.[15] Monoterpenes (α- and γ-terpinene and terpinolene) are constituents of the foliage volatile oil.

Looking for that 'foliage volatile oil' because it worried me because of it being an oil and I came up with this.

Composition of the volatile oil from the foliage and terminal branches of western Juniper - Fahey - 2006 - Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association - Wiley Online Library

Which states:

Abstract

The volatile oil obtained by steam distillation of the foliage and terminal branches of western juniper in 1.8 per cent yield was found to contain α-pinene 10–12 per cent; a mixture of β-phellandrene, dipentene, and p-cymene 10 per cent; sabinene 4 per cent; terpinolene and α-terpinene 3–5 per cent; terpinen-4-ol 6–8 per cent; d-borneol, free and combined as borneol acetate, 22–25 per cent; cadinene 20–25 per cent; acetic acid, free and combined as borneol acetate, 4–5 per cent; phenols 1.0 per cent; traces of aldehydes; and residue and losses 16–18 per cent.

Juniper is listed as being bad on the Safe Wood List

Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

Looking up that a-terpinene just because it reminds me of turpentine, that is an antioxidant in tea tree oil. Someone had lost their bird after using tea tree oil.

alpha-Terpinene | α-Terpinene | 86473 | Sigma-Aldrich

Sorry, back to the drawing board for you but best to find out first, and not the hard way.

Coki

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
@Macaw Lover Thank you very very much for the information you provided, especially for including so many details.

mldapril17

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Marla Sommers
I'm pretty sure it is not, or atleast it is not according to a local list of toxic wood for parrots I've read, but I'd like to hear your experiences!

the variety I like the better is the one called "goldcrest", which has yellow colored leaves and an amazing citric-like smell.

I'm going to buy some plants for the aviary soon, and I thought these trees look amazing and could fit an aviary well.

Thanks.
I searched the list for safe & toxic wood on this site and I didn't see Bald Cypress or Cypress...