• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is charcoal safe for my budgie?

emenetrey

Checking out the neighborhood
My budgie, Milk Shake, has been puffed up and listless. She will eat and drink, chirp a little but otherwise just wants to sleep. Her abdomen seems a bit swollen. I gave her some Oasis Alive and Well Pro-biotic for Birds and she perked up but what she really loves is charcoal. I read about it used as a help for infections. If I put it in the feeder she runs over immediately nibbles it up. I live two hours from the nearest avian vet and have been putting off traveling that far. Any advice?

Farfah

Walking the driveway
Once upon a time, they said all birds need charcoal all the time so I always kept a dish of it in the cage and my budgies would eat some everyday. It never seemed to be an issue. I know that more recent science says it's not necessary but I haven't heard that it's harmful. Anyone know more about this?

Either way, if she is listless, your best bet it to go to the vet. Birds hide illness well so by the time you see it, it's usually quite serious.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Charcoal can interfere with nutrient absorption, as well as prevent medicines being absorbed properly. At best, it cancels out the probiotics that you're feeding. I certainly wouldn't feed it as a routine part of the diet.

I think she does need to see a vet. Being puffed up, listless and having a swollen abdomen are all sighns of a potentially serious illness. Birds will do their best to hide their illnesses, so by the time we notice that something is wrong then it can be quite advanced.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I live 90 minutes away from a vet; throw in 2 small kids, a husband that works 11 hour days, and being a single vehicle household, and going to the vet is an entire day ordeal.

That being said, if my bird were visibly swollen and they had the other symptoms you are seeing, I'd be heading to the vet.

If you're in pet or local groups on Facebook, etc, sometimes you can find vets that are not avian board certified but are quite competent that are less of a drive.

I try to always be aware of all vets that will even see a vet in my vicinity; they may not always be my first choice but at least I'll always have a choice.