• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Blu overweight?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Lately I've been noticing that when Blu is in certain poses, and only in certain poses, his belly/keel(?) area looks kind of big. Only from the side view. From the front he looks flat but wide lol. I have always thought that overweight birds have a cleavage? He does not have that

Does it look like he's getting overweight or is this just odd? He weighs 110 grams, which is much more than when I got him 4 1/2 years ago. He used to weigh 98 grams

20210708_171823.jpg
I drew a red marking close to where I'm talking about
20210708_170031.jpg

*please don't mind the crusty looking feathers on his belly. I spilled his meds on him a couple of times :shy:

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you felt his keel? That will give you a good idea on his condition.

He’s very handsome :heart:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Has your vet mentioned him being overweight?
No but honestly with everything else he has going on right now I wouldn't expect her to remember to mention that. I will ask though on Saturday. I was just curious if anyone thought he has an odd shape or if that's a normal looking thing if he is overweight. Thank you for the reply

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sometimes Burt looks fat and other times he looks too skinny- they are tricky sometimes depending on how they’re positioned and how they’re holding their feathers. Definitely ask your vet but I’d think the vet would mention it regardless of how much other stuff was going on.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Sometimes Burt looks fat and other times he looks too skinny- they are tricky sometimes depending on how they’re positioned and how they’re holding their feathers. Definitely ask your vet but I’d think the vet would mention it regardless of how much other stuff was going on.
So true, Blu can look skinny sometimes to me too. I will definitely mention it. Thank you again!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What an adorable throat floof! I hope Jingo is doing ok? I remember he's staying with your family but I forgot who? Your mom?
He's with my mother in law and still hates my guts :lol: Otherwise he's doing fine

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
We had a follow up appointment this past weekend for Blu's ear infection so I asked if the Dr could feel Blu's belly and tell me if he's swollen or just fat and after the appt the receptionist told me if was just a little fat. Then she told me his weight, as they usually do after every appointment and he's gained 7 grams in 2 weeks! I was shocked and said whoa! But the Dr didn't seem to think that was alarming. I know weight fluctuates depending on time of day or correlation with meals but I think 7 grams is a huge fluctuation in a little guy. Is it possible his meds are making him gain weight? I've noticed that right after he gets them he goes right to his food bowl. And if it's from meds, will that go away when he's done taking them?

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I wanted to add that he's been on meds for over 2 1/2 months .He's taking an antibiotic (first he took enrofloxacin and now septra) Plus meloxicam.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
This PDF from an avian DVM shows an observed mean weight of 98g during 484 blue quaker visits. The 20% range is 88 to 108g, with the highest observed weight being 139g.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
This PDF from an avian DVM shows an observed mean weight of 98g during 484 blue quaker visits. The 20% range is 88 to 108g, with the highest observed weight being 139g.
Thank you for finding that information! I think the reason I'm concerned is because I don't think his belly was this round before we started all of these meds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is he easy to weigh? Maybe weigh him again in the morning and see if he's the same weight?

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Is he easy to weigh? Maybe weigh him again in the morning and see if he's the same weight?
Honestly, I've never weighed him at home before. I've always relied on the vet since we go so often for pedicures. I did buy a scale when I first got him but I didn't trust it's accuracy because I tested it by weighing a can of pop and it wasn't 100% percent accurate so I just never bothered to try weighing Blu with it. I will start trying to use it though. I guess it's better to have something rather than nothing to compare to. Thank you for the great idea

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Regarding scale accuracy, it doesn't really matter that our home scales aren't 100% accurate.

It will be accurate with itself, so it's perfectly fine for establishing a baseline weight and watching the trend over time.

To see how it's calibrated relative to your vet's scale, simply weigh Blu right before his next vet visit and any difference is the delta.

(FWIW - my Jericho's fluffy belly feathers look pronounced in certain postures, but all is revealed after a soaking bath)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Regarding scale accuracy, it doesn't really matter that our home scales aren't 100% accurate.

It will be accurate with itself, so it's perfectly fine for establishing a baseline weight and watching the trend over time.

To see how it's calibrated relative to your vet's scale, simply weigh Blu right before his next vet visit and any difference is the delta.

(FWIW - my Jericho's fluffy belly feathers look pronounced in certain postures, but all is revealed after a soaking bath)
Excellent point, thank you! We have another follow appt at the vet for his ear on 8/10 so I'll be able to calibrate my scale relative to the vet's scale then, assuming I'm able to get him on my scale.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I just got around to weighing Blu at home for the first time and my scale said 112 grams this time. I calibrated it by weighing a nutrigrain bar first that weighed 42 grams. The scale said 45 grams so I just deducted 3 grams from what the scale said when I weighed him. I'm glad it seems he is less than what the vet said 2 weeks ago. Maybe they just made a mistake? I'm hoping so. He's going in again tomorrow for another follow up for his ear so I'll see what their scale says tomorrow.

I also just ordered another scale from Amazon just cause it comes with a perch and it was priced pretty reasonably. The reviews are good so hopefully it will be worth it

W.C. Redmon Deluxe Digital Small Animal and Aviary Scale with Perch, Golds & Yellows Amazon.com: W.C. Redmon Deluxe Digital Small Animal and Aviary Scale with Perch, Golds & Yellows: Pet Supplies

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you weighed the bar in its package then it will weigh more. They give you the weights of the food without the packages usually.

My scales are playing up again. I’m tired of buying overpriced scales that are rubbish from the moment you get them :(