• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is baking playdough/clay safe?

ncampos234

Checking out the neighborhood
i hope this is the right place for this question! i want to make craft jewelry and all my other methods have failed. i thought clay/playdough would be a good idea, but i dont know if it would release fumes or something. so, is it safe?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I recall from when I was into making figurines with Sculpey that the recommendation was to heat it in a well-ventilated place because of the fumes. If they could hurt people, I would assume they would be extra harmful to birds.

However, Scupley is a polymer clay, I think. Not a natural clay. Not sure about playdough. It is pretty benign. You can even eat it. I'm sure the fumes will be different depending on the type of clay and some would be safer than others. But I would still recommend baking the clay in a well-ventilated space away from your birds.

When I did clay art, I bought a cheap toaster oven from Goodwill and set it up outside on my porch when I was ready to cook some clay. It kept it out of my kitchen and away from any appliances used for food preparation. Perhaps you have somewhere like that?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It can release fumes if over baked however freezing it does the same thing and will safely dry it out and harden it without the risk.