• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Anythin Wrong?

BirdBonkers5

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sree
Hi guys! I just got a new canary today named Spice! :heart:
I bought him home a few hours ago, and he seems fine and is eating and drinking, but his 'chirps' are really soft...
My other canary, Chili, has a high-pitched, long chirp, but this one has a kinda low, short chirp. It's only the first day, so should I be concerned? Or is this normal behaviour? My vet is very far away and isn't accessible easily, so any tips I can do for this at home if it is a problem?
Tysm guys!
:xflove:

BirdBonkers5

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sree
I'm easy worried about my birds, so I'm not sure if this is completely normal or not...
I heard online that it could be a respiratory infection, is that true?? :<
It's only been a day tho, and I've been observing her and she's acting completely normal, no other symptoms but the quiet chirps... Also, these chirps sound a bit raspy to me, but idk...

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@finchly would be a good person to help you out.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
When you bring a new bird into your life, people tend to be overly sensitive and concerned about its wellfare. This is a natural response, but sometimes it can lead to increased stress, which in turn can stress your new feathered friend.

With that said, with canaries and finches, respiratory infections happen a bit more often. Usually because people consider a passerines as 'disposable pets' and they are bred under difficult conditions, have the worst diets and are prolific breeders (inexpensive). Ask yourself: Where did you bird come from? A breeder? Craigslist? A big box store?

If you post a video of the chirps then it would be easier to identify whether or not its an illness, or if it is just 'his song'. In the meantime, ensure that he has everything he needs in his quarantine cage :) sometimes when birds are in quarantine they can act differently for those 30 days due to the stress of being alone, new place, etc.

IF it is determined that your bird has an issue- First and foremost Use SCATT on all incoming birds. Then you would treat dependant:

ASPERGILLOSIS:
Symptoms: gasping, wheezing, coughing or a change in voice for vocal birds.
Causes: fungal infection caused by mold.
Treatment: Good husbandry and antifungal such as itraconazole .

AIR SAC MITES:
Symptoms: Air sac mites infect the respiratory system. It can be a fatal but is most commonly found in Gouldians.
Causes: Transmission is caused by breeding cycles (parents to young and during courtship). Symptoms may include a gaping mouth, cough and loss of voice.
Treatment: Insecticide containing ivermectin will eradicate the mite. Ensure you treat all birds and not just the infected.

Last edited: