• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is anyone else's cockatiel an absolute unit?

Zilga

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jill
Nuggs had a checkup recently and weighed in at a hefty 124 grams - the vet says she isn't even fat, just big. The vet also said that the only cockatiels she sees that are that size are usually show tiels, which made me laugh because I got Nuggs on craiglist, so her lineage is not exactly distinguished,. (She's my first cockatiel, so I didn't realize she was above average in size.) Does anyone else have a unit of a tiel?

Blurry picture of her making a mess with our Bourkes parakeet for scale:

PXL_20240406_154003325-EDIT (1).jpg

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Kimchi weighs in at a whopping 118g, and she’s only a year-ish old. Same as yours, vet says she’s not fat, she’s just remarkably large. And is also a Craigslist baby :roflmao:

Free bird

Meeting neighbors
Nuggs looks like a body builder, lol.
Tiels can vary a lot in size, mine is 90 grams and there are smaller ones than mine

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That is a big girl but not unheard of. I think over the years breeders haven't definitely been breeding bigger tiels. Females especially seem to be larger. The first time I saw a big girl, all I could think was that if my tiels ever saw her that they would think they met an Amazon. (Like Wonder Woman, not the bird. Lol). My boys only weigh in the 70s (but are older birds). So smaller even by normal standards but it's a healthy weight for them. Just small. And my foster tiel was so underweight when she came to the rescue, the vet didn't even know if she would live- 63 grams. But she's doing great now but still in the 70s. I suspect she was the "runt" of the litter so to speak.