• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is an eclectus parrot a good option for a first bird?

buccaneer

Moving in
Real Name
Lukas
Hi everyone!

I'm looking into getting my first bird, and I've been doing a couple months of research on various different species. Ekkies have really caught my eye, but considering they're a bit on the larger side and seem to have complicated diets, are they suitable for someone that hasn't had a bird before(in your opinion)?

Also, does anyone have a good book or maybe a detailed care guide on their care that you recommend? Even if I don't get one as my first bird I'll probably keep researching so I can get one when I'm more experienced haha

Also also, I have a few questions(if you don't mind)-
1. How big should the enclosure be?
2. Should they live in pairs or alone?
3. Can they be left alone for 8 hours straight about every day(considering I have work and studies) or is that too long?

Thanks! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I believe that a person should get the bird they want from the start because they will hopefully have that bird for a long, long time, provided of course that they do their research and know what they are getting into. Ekkies are one species that I really don't a lot about. I will tag some people, but you're right- they do have more complicated diets than others. Have you met any? I always think the best way to decide on a bird is to meet some. What you like may surprise you. Are there any parrot rescues near you where you can go and meet some birds?

@EkkieLuv @jmfleish

buccaneer

Moving in
Real Name
Lukas
I believe that a person should get the bird they want from the start because they will hopefully have that bird for a long, long time, provided of course that they do their research and know what they are getting into. Ekkies are one species that I really don't a lot about. I will tag some people, but you're right- they do have more complicated diets than others. Have you met any? I always think the best way to decide on a bird is to meet some. What you like may surprise you. Are there any parrot rescues near you where you can go and meet some birds?

@EkkieLuv @jmfleish
There aren’t really any bird rescues or anything like that in my country, but I’ll see if I can maybe find a good pet/bird store or something like that has birds so I can meet some. Thanks for the tip!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There aren’t really any bird rescues or anything like that in my country, but I’ll see if I can maybe find a good pet/bird store or something like that has birds so I can meet some. Thanks for the tip!!
You may find sharing the country you are in could get you some results for rescues.

parrotcafe

Meeting neighbors
I don’t really believe in “starter” birds. I think any bird can be a good first bird with the proper amount of research. Eclectus have special dietary requirements. They are messier in my experience than other birds. They also require more frequent bathing. Pls do extensive research on their specific requirements. They are lovely and beautiful. Some say they prefer to be more independent and hands off than other birds but my girl is affectionate and clever, however but can also be nippy at times. I love her to pieces but she is a lot of work.

parrotcafe

Meeting neighbors
I love my girl. She can be very cage territorial but she is very smart, talks, wants to be with me but she can be independent too. I love her ❤