• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is a vitamin and mineral supplement a good alternative to pigeon pellets?

Jogging around the block
I used to feed my pigeons a mix of pellets and grains but sadly the only place I was able to order pigeon pellets from has stopped shipping to the North island in NZ, so I am not able to get any pellets nationally.
Grain and seeds is not a complete diet for my pigeons so I had to figure something else out. So I bought a vitamin and mineral supplement you put on the grain for them (pigeons do not hull their seed so they ingest everything on the outside of the grain). As directed I give them 1 tablespoon of powder to 1 kg of seed twice a week. This is the ingredients of the powder
Vitamin A 180.00 IU Vitamin D3 20,000 IU Vitamin E 2.000 IU Vitamin K 10mg Vitamin B1 36mg Vitamin B2 41mg Vitamin B6 4 mg Vitamin B12 10 mg D- calcium Pantothenate 175mg Nicotinamide 40 mg Cobalt 5mg Copper 7mg Iron 200mg Manganese 440mg Iodine 7.5 mg Selenium 0.36 mg Molybdenum 4mg Zinc 320mg Sodium 10mg Calcium phosphate + Calcium carbonate Calcium gluconate 35% Aniseed Beetroot Powder
And the grains I give them are Whole maize, maple peas, blue peas, white peas, wheat, barley, sorghum, lentils, flaxseed and safflower. They are free range so most likely they get the odd insects and greens. They also have access to good quality pigeon grit.
I am wondering, does it sound like their diet is good enough to make up for the lack of pellets?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew