• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is a strong sunlight lamp (10,000 Lux) safe for Linnies?

ked

Moving in
I live in Canada and there is lack of sunlight here in winter. Doctors recommend getting a 10,000 Lux Sunlight lamp. These are also known as Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) therapy lamps.
Are these safe for linnies considering they provide an exposure to 10,000 lux of light?

HelenVanessaDavies

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Hiya, I live in the UK use lighting for my linnie and budgie - we have an Arcadia Puresun Avian light kit (mini) which emits 2.4% UV-B and UVA (it's very bright but I don't know what the lumens it puts out) - I'm not sure whether the SAD lamps have integrated UVB but it's the UVB that allows for birds to produce vitamin D. I have a heat lamp as well that doesn't emit UVB for use if there's an issue with the heating in winter or if I have any bird that is unwell and undergoing treatment.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I have read that sunlamps/bright lights can damage little one’s eyes. Let me see if I can find it..

Here’s something from a cage company, but I think they’re trying to sell somethings too:

More:

Last edited: