• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is a Pine Tree Toxic?

Username15

Moving in
Hello,
I remember reading somewhere that the scent of pine oil was toxic to birds. I did some quick research and could only find references to pinesol and how it shouldn't be used. Is the same true for actual pine trees (like a Christmas tree)? Would it be safe to have one in my home? I honestly don't think I have an option because my family is set on a tree, but will the scent put them at risk of death? How can I minimize any risk?

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
No, Pine trees aren’t toxic.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
According to my old field ornithology prof, pines aren’t toxic. Annoying because of pitch but not toxic.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
my family is set on a tree
You can have your tree :)
"Fresh Christmas trees (fir and pine) are not poisonous, but they do have stick sap. There is a risk of physical injury from sharp needles, so be sure to select one with soft fresh needles. If birds injest pine needles they can have gastric upset. Cedar contains oils that can be irritating to toxic depending on exposure and the size of your bird. Many trees that are bought have been treated with pesticides, and chemicals to "R" word transpiration to keep them fresher longer, so you want to prevent your birds from chewing on them. Tree water is not good for your birds to drink (would you drink it?) as it can contain fertilizers and bacteria like pseudomonas that love to grow in standing water."
Source;
Have a read of the thread I linked, lots of other good info for the holidays ;)

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
This is a very good post. I sadly assumed that this would be a fresh cut tree; I have no experience buying trees commercially. Of course you are not going to use a cedar tree for a Christmas tree, but a lot of pine oil can irritate anybody sensitive.

Plants contain essential oils and in higher concentrations those can cause skin or lung irritation among other issues. This is why we don’t use cedar bedding in many animal cages. Animals can have respiratory or skin irritation. I’ve even met snakes that are allergic to all bedding but pelleted newspaper.

I can’t address whether tree farms use chemicals on their trees. I just don’t know. A tree you cut from the woods should be pretty safe. But if your kid or bird eats needles they can have an upset tummy, though I hear these are a good source of vit c and the fresh needle tips have been eaten by many peoples.

Unfortunately, even wild gathered plants if taken from a roadside can have lead or other contaminants from car exhaust. Making yard salad is dangerous if you’re in the city or gathering next to a road.

Use your common sense. I mostly worry about sparkly tinsel or ornaments being chomped by my birds. And everything LOOKS yummy to a parrot, even if it isn’t. (But it’s also amazing what the dog or cat gut can pass.)

Willow is awfully neurotic so I don’t know if holiday decorations will be terrifying. 6F9D4604-F99B-4C9A-AB30-02EEB4275C56.jpeg But here he is, near a tree; photo from three years ago.

Last edited: