• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is a Cape Parrot right for us?

vicuna

Moving in
Real Name
gene
So I am considering getting a Cape Parrot and would love to get your input on if you think we would be a good match for one another. and if so how to proceed.

I am zeroed in on a cape mainly because I met a few and love their personalities, love their looks / size, and want a companion for many years. I was also looking at the Hans Macaw but I read the Cape might be quieter - which would allow me to take it to more places.

I understand every bird is individual and a lot will depend on my skill level as a trainer.

I have a million questions but I am wondering if any of this completely rules me out as a Cape owner:

1) I would like to keep the bird flighted and train for indoors (or aviary) flight. Our house has huge walls of windows and sliding doors. Decals everywhere are not really an option. Will that be a danger to my bird?

2) I want a bird that will tag along with me to work (I'd set up a cage there) and to walk our dogs in parks or small cities with other people / dogs / bikes / cars etc. Would this be a good bird for that type of activity?

3) I really only want one bird. Have read that some birds NEED companionship and others are ok without.

4) We live in the Philadelphia suburbs. I would plann to setup an outdoor space but I imagine the bird might have to be indoors for a few months?

5) I would love to spend time devouring training material before bringing the bird home. what do you recommend I read / watch?

6) How do I proceed with ordering / buying?

Thank you!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
The walls of windows would definitely be a concern. Startled or frightened birds do hit windows that they know are there. So you'd need to find something (like sheers) that can be used to protect a flighted bird.

I don't know much about a Cape's personality, but any bird that is treated well, can be a companion at work, and on walks in the park. Training for a harness would be necessary. I'd suggest a young bird for that if possible.

Others will be on ideas and suggestions, hopefully someone will have one, or will have known a Cape and be able to talk about them from experience.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I have not had this species or nor one.

I do have fully flighted birds all of mine are. I introduced them over and over to all the glass, walking and tapping on it with them. I did put up some bird strike prevention stickers. And when young or learning to fly had blinds down. They now all zoom no walls or windows are flown into. Even in a panic flight obstacles are avoided.

If its dark, with very low light, is the only time I've had an issue. But my birds are put up at night.

Most of keep ours indoors. With nice weather time outside if we are lucky to have aviary. Or I roll cages out and sit with them never alone. As stray cats , snakes hawks. All 3 have made attempts.

An outdoor aviary needs a lot of thought put into it. Rat's snd mice , raccoons reach in and grab parrots, snakes and fox. Mosquitoes born diseases like Eastern Equine Encephalitis, West Nile Can kill parrots . And there are other wild bird born diseases like chlamydia. Bird mites and lice. Plus humans that cut open and steal your burd.

While parrots can adapt some to cooler Temps........with heat source...I don't feel comfy advise on that. I don't take my outside under 70f .

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Many parrots enjoy going on walks in many of the package o burd or other type travel cages.

Harness training is much easier if started as baby.

This article i think is a very good read, and covers a lot other than stress. Stress Reduction for Companion Parrots – Pet Birds by Lafeber Co.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
And our sticky on the species if you haven't already found snd read

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have never come across a Cape. You might actually have trouble finding one.... I would probably start with seeing if you can even find one and what the price is and decide from there.

I actually just did a quick search. There are some breeders out there. Looks like prices are $4000-$6000.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
@vicuna
Mentioned they had met a few , so maybe they have a source?

You can find them on Hoobly...tho I can't vouch for anything. I did use the site to find a dog breeder once.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We used to have several members with Capes years ago I believe two of them were actually siblings but sadly they haven't posted in years. I tried to tag them and it's been so long I can't even do that anymore :( but from what I recall of them they were all really even tempered mostly quiet wonderful toy players.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
We used to have several members with Capes years ago I believe two of them were actually siblings but sadly they haven't posted in years. I tried to tag them and it's been so long I can't even do that anymore :( but from what I recall of them they were all really even tempered mostly quiet wonderful toy players.
I think brown headed and cape are something? I just asked gor update and she did!

Oops. .but I will leave as they have cape parrot babies now

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
oops they are different species

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Capes are hard to find and very expensive. They are difficult to breed and do it infrequently. This is a species that is often advertised by scammers so be very careful where you put your money.

vicuna

Moving in
Real Name
gene
what would the scam be? not getting a bird? or getting the wrong breed?

tyty

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
what would the scam be? not getting a bird? or getting the wrong breed?

tyty
If they ask for money upfront . And shipping, you buy burd they never ship. Best done in person

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Dont give any money before you buy a bird. Does it have to be a Cape?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You can always manually type it in.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I own a Cape. A female. Im rarely on AA any more so I hope I am not too late in helping answer your questions. Keep in mind - personalities vary and I'm *positive* upbringing has significant impact too BUT despite all that they do remain true to what makes a Cape, a Cape.

1) I would like to keep the bird flighted and train for indoors (or aviary) flight. Our house has huge walls of windows and sliding doors. Decals everywhere are not really an option. Will that be a danger to my bird?
My Cape is flighted. I never clipped her. I never plan to. I also didn't raise her. I bought her at two years old but I digress. Capes are CLUMSY. Awkward and clumsy. I too have huge walls of windows not over six foot tall but almost the whole wall. In fact, her cage sits in front of one of my window walls as she LOVES and ENJOYS looking outside. I wouldnt have it any other way. Id rather her stare outside while I am away at work then at a wall. As far as flying into those huge window walls of yours IT IS ALWAYS A RISK. My Cape flew into them a few times but she learned from that and thank God no broken legs wings or neck came of it. My suggestion dont keep her away from windows, instead show her or him while on perched on your finger, tap on glass lightly and say "window" or "glass" and put your bird up to it and let them, if your bird chooses to, tap on it with its beak. Repeat this step, repetition. It is all about learning. Some learn by running into windows, some learn by tapping on the glass. My Cape learned BOTH ways. She flys and knows to stay away from windows. This goes for ANY PARROT. I am one that refuses to take their flight away. I dont hinder them I teach. I feel and by experience, I had a Jardines, I never allowed to fly by listening to people, and he was so clumsy and insecure, it was sad. And that too is a Poicephalus (or however you spell that), an African bird, like the Cape. In my eyes they need flight DESPITE what anybody says or how many great reasonings they have behind clipping; I refuse to clip mine. I never will. But this is all in preference and up to you. It is proven that African birds and especially Capes ARE CLUMSY and if that big body of theirs falls to the ground and they can't catch themselves with their wings you also risk broken legs, wings, neck or a dislocated something. They are big bodies heavy birds, and they need to catch themselves.