• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is 100% Alloe Oil ok for birds?

Brian's birds

Moving in
Real Name
Brian
our goffin just recently started pulling out his feathers around and under his beak along his neck...each night getting worse. We were told a mixture of water and 100% alloe oil in a spray bottle could work if its skin irritation/dryness. In doing more reading we saw Alloe JUICE. So big question, are we OK with the Oil and what should be the mixture amount water vs oil?
(Not sure why it started, behavior same. Eating fine, no changes in environment ect)

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Oil and water do not mix, so I would be concerned that you would be spraying very potent oil onto the bird.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Welcome to Aa!
:starshower: :starshower: :starshower: :starshower:
I would feel safer buying a real aloe plant and squzeeng some of that goey stuff in the leaves directly into water ( provided the aloe had organic treatment).
... Has a vet seen your 'too?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think you need aloe juice not oil. You need to be careful about the brand. If you search the forums, someone recommended 2 brands for birds. It might have been @Birdbabe ?

I am using Green Leaf Naturals aloe spray from Amazon. It seems to be working well.

I have aloe plants... to use them you have to cut the leaf, let the yellow stuff drain out, peel it, grind in blender. My experience was the didn’t grind enough to go through the spray bottle, so despite having plenty of plants it didn’t work for me. You can’t fight with a bottle while trying to spray a bird!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
The first thing I would do is see an avian vet ASAP

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would recommend a full exam with an avian vet first. When Leia had that kind of localised feather barbering, it was due to a crop infection.

I have also been advised by my vet to avoid using anything but water on feathers. Some birds get distressed if their feathers are sticky/oily and will barber or pluck their feathers even more as a result.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I would recommend a full exam with an avian vet first. When Leia had that kind of localised feather barbering, it was due to a crop infection.

I have also been advised by my vet to avoid using anything but water on feathers. Some birds get distressed if their feathers are sticky/oily and will barber or pluck their feathers even more as a result.
I completely agree with @tka. Many cases of plucking are caused by physical issues. Some that I have seen are - infections of the feather root, tumors, atherosclerosis and any other condition that causes chronic pain. You need to see a vet and get any physical cause cleared first.

Water only on feathers.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I repeat - nothing except water on your bird's feathers.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I agree water only and I have had several pluckers and have had 15 years experience with them

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I agree with a vet exam, but you can get "lily of the valley " aloe juice at SPROUTS,,,and serve that as the drink..or..if you have a real aloe, peel a leaf , get the " goo" and put it on the area, non toxic, cooling, healing.. its sticky and has a smell, but it's totally safe, even you, if you can stand the taste,,can eat it..