• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Irritated skin in lovebirds?

AbnormalAvian

Meeting neighbors
Recently I've noticed a little red spot on my lovebird, Jedi. It started out very small, and over the past week or so, it's gotten a lot bigger, now covering a large portion of his forehead. It almost looks like if his feathers broke right there or something; it looks like blood is either on his skin or feathers. It doesn't seem to be bothering him, but I've heard birds are good at hiding pain. I'm getting really worried about him, and if anyone could please give me some advice on what to do, that would help a lot. I'm willing to take him to the vet, but it's very expensive, and I don't have much money to spare unless he actually needs veterinary help. I'll try to attach pictures of what I'm talking about, and just so you know; his head feathers are a bit wet because he was playing in the sink faucet a minute ago. 20180406_194957.jpg 20180406_195108.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They sort of look like broken blood feathers and if they are bleeding then you need to be sure to stop the bleeding. Did he injure himself? Is he rubbing his forehead against the cage or perch? I realize you said that the vet is expensive but a vet visit might be the way to go.
Hope Jedi will be OK.

AbnormalAvian

Meeting neighbors
He's only 5 months old, so maybe he's starting his first molt? He tends to fly into walls if he gets spooked, so it may be that... I was planning to take him to the vet shortly after I got him anyway to make sure he was healthy, getting the right food, ect, so I might go ahead and do that, and ask the vet about those feathers while I'm there. It's expensive, but it's better than taking him later because of a vitamin deficiency or something.

Thanks for the reply ^^

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he is hitting the wall he is probably breaking blood feathers. You need to figure out some kind of set up so he doesn't go into the wall or if he does it's padded and he doesn't injure himself.

He is very cute, btw. I had a budgie named Jedi.

BeebeesMom

Strolling the yard
I would definitely take him to an avian vet. Alot of them will let you pay a little later. I agree with iamwhoiam - may be broken blood feathers. Could also be the bird is poking his face through bar of the cage or a toy. Watch it closely - watch its habits check the cage during daily water / food change for anything that can injure. Remember birds losing any amount of blood is a trip to the vet when it doesnt stop or looks raw like this. Check with your vet on the pros and cons of wing clipping - it could save its life. I understand about the money issue. I put aside $10 a week for emergency bird fund for Beebee. Alot easier that way and it gave me peace of mind. You have a beautiful baby!!!!!! Keep us posted.

AbnormalAvian

Meeting neighbors
I think I'll call afew vets to find one that's a bit cheaper, and I'll take him in soon. Thanks for the advice!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you post your approximate location maybe some members can recommend vets to you. Hope all will be well.

AbnormalAvian

Meeting neighbors
I'm in Cypress Texas, but anywhere in the Houston area would be fine.

AbnormalAvian

Meeting neighbors
I think I know what the red is now. The red spot on his head continued to "worsen", and now I'm pretty sure it's his adult coloring coming in. Before when I took the pictures, the feathers were so short it looked like his skin. But today I was kinda messing with the feathers to get a better look, and the red is the actual feather, not the skin. Jedi's only 4 and a half-ish months old, so I guess it just looked like blood because his baby pink color is so dull. Thanks for the help with him, even though it ended up not being an injury. 20180412_182941.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:) Great that it wasn't an injury or broken blood feathers. Has he ever been to the vet, though? It's generally a good idea to bring a new bird to the vet for an overall check up and some blood work to get a baseline.
Nice photo, btw.

AbnormalAvian

Meeting neighbors
I want to, but my both my parents are against it. My dad says if I bring him in I'll just be wasting my money since he looks perfectly healthy, but I think I'll do it anyway.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I want to, but my both my parents are against it. My dad says if I bring him in I'll just be wasting my money since he looks perfectly healthy, but I think I'll do it anyway.
Not a waste of $$ since you will be getting health info about your bird. You will get a baseline/reference point for the future and any issues can be diagnosed. Birds can look healthy but they generally hide illnesses until they are VERY ill.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with @iamwhoiam - it’s never a waste to get a checkup. You are investing in your baby’s wellness. :)