• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Irritated Foot

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I came home after being away for 2 days and saw my budgie was sitting on one foot as if it was uncomfortable to stand on the other. I noticed it’s a little red looking. I’m panicking over whatever this could be. Please help

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It looks as if it could be a bruise. If he/she is in pain, a veterinarian could prescribe oral pain medication or anti-inflammatories to help.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
It looks as if it could be a bruise. If he/she is in pain, a veterinarian could prescribe oral pain medication or anti-inflammatories to help.
Thank you! I think you’re right, I brought him to the vet today and his exam was good. The doctor said keep an eye on it and sent me home with pain meds

Last edited:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m glad he’s ok! Do we get to see the rest of that fine piece of budgie awesomeness? Pictures please?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I’m glad he’s ok! Do we get to see the rest of that fine piece of budgie awesomeness? Pictures please?
Here’s an update of Luke & his foot.
If anyone has any tips to help it heal quicker please share:)

Attachments

Last edited:

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
You can wrap the dowel perches with some vet wrap (the self adhering foamy like bandages) to make the perches softer. And if you have some safe rope perches (jute, sisal) they're easier on their feet too.

Birds need a variety of diameter perches to rest on, it helps to keep their feet strong and healthy. Using the same uniform roundness all the time puts pressure on their feet in the same spots. Natural wood perches are best, but you can modify the dowel perched as well to help.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ice packs? But I don’t know if any bird who would tolerate that! Poor Luke! Speedy healing ❤

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has Luke been able to put any more weight on that foot? If it is a bruise, it may take several days. How is he doing otherwise?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Has Luke been able to put any more weight on that foot? If it is a bruise, it may take several days. How is he doing otherwise?
He keeps running around the cage wanting to play lol. I’m trying to get him to rest it. But he does keep weight off of it in between still

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Yay! Glad he seems to be getting better.

You can keep the wraps on the perches long term too and just change when they get dirty. It's easier on their feet than just the dowel rods.

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Yay! Glad he seems to be getting better.

You can keep the wraps on the perches long term too and just change when they get dirty. It's easier on their feet than just the dowel rods.
Good to know! I bought a pack of them so I might just continue to keep it like you said. I hope it heals soon! It’s hard to tell at the moment