• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN VS QUAKER

Quakers

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
radu nahoi
I'm movies into a new house and I don't know who to choose I love them both. I've only handled IRN but quakers look so CHONK and cute.

Also nearly no one mentions hoe they are I really want an active and playful parrot mainly but I would love them to talk but not necessarily. I was first looking at loorikeets but their poop and diet are difficult and it's a new house so liquid ish poop isn't gonna help maintaining the house and caique... go crazy.

I'm thinking of a conure but I would prefer a little bigger parrot.

Noise isn't a problem also I at school for 5-6 hours a day would that be a problem my friends have an IRN and they leave the TV on the the neighborhood is active so they do well alone and have not problem but all parrots are different feel free to give your honest opinion in the comments.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I was owned by an IRN for 26 years,and I've always wanted to bring a Quaker into the flock. My state prohibits the species as "pets."

So,I really can't be an objective person for you...both species would make an outstanding companion...

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I personally prefer Quaker parrots, but that's just me. IRNs are cool too. I can't really help with choosing one as I've never owned either of them, so I can't say anything about their personalities.

Quakers

Real Name
radu nahoi
Thanks guys.

Are they playful I either hear that they are cuddly and not.playful or playful and not cuddly can you kinda explain I don't know anyone with lots of experience my friend isn't a newbie himself.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
IRNs are intelligent and VERY independent! That what makes them kind of a hard species to get to know. It also makes them not a popular bird to have as a companion.
I value independence in birds...and encourage it in all my birds-currently 7 of them. We had the privilege of being owned by Titan for 26 years...what a glorious time it was.
He was our first "uncommon" bird we ever had...and what a first to have had!

AzKhaleesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather
I was owned by an IRN for 26 years,and I've always wanted to bring a Quaker into the flock. My state prohibits the species as "pets."

So,I really can't be an objective person for you...both species would make an outstanding companion...
I love when states say you can't have a specific bird, like who the heck is gonna knock on my door and be like excuse me do you have a Quaker in there? lol

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

I love when states say you can't have a specific bird, like who the heck is gonna knock on my door and be like excuse me do you have a Quaker in there? lol
Yes but you can be reported by a neighbor, and it makes getting vet care a hassle.

AzKhaleesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather

Yes but you can be reported by a neighbor, and it makes getting vet care a hassle.
Oh that's true I suppose. Damn nosy neighbors lol. (kidding)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh that's true I suppose. Damn nosy neighbors lol. (kidding)
And if your bird ever got loose, animal control could be ordered to put it down.... :(

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
In some states where quakers are illegal, so much as traveling across the state can result in your bird being taken and destroyed. It's not worth the risk.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
The unfortunate thing is that I was reported to state authorities for having a Quaker. What I had was an IRN.
And yes,they were going to kill Titan. These authorities were armed...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I also have to add that these "authorities" didn't even know what a Quaker looked like...they had to look one up IN A BOOK...

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Ooh, a thread that's relevant to me on multiple levels!

I own both a Quaker (male) and a IRN (female). I also owned a Quaker in an illegal state (Tennessee), but had bought him when I lived in Virginia. I refused to give him up when I had to move to Tennessee, so he came with me on the down-low.

To address the Quaker vs. IRN debate: they are completely different birds.

Pippin (Quaker) is somewhat aloof, cage defensive but otherwise relatively quiet and calm. He enjoys being around my Caique and people, but isn't cuddly and doesn't like to be pet. He has periods where he's very vocal, but typically these manifest more as "let me go through my entire vocabulary" rather than the incessant beeps, squeaks, squawks, and clucks of my IRN and Caique. He's a great talker, incredibly intelligent, and picks up on words, phrases, and social cues super quickly.

My IRN is stubborn and bull-headed, but ultimately just wants to be all up in your business 100% of the time. She is a very people-oriented bird and loves having her head rubbed, but absolutely does not get along with my Caique. She will sometimes bully my Quaker, but mostly just a brief beak-wrestle before one of them flies off. She has a history of full-on attacking my Caique however, and lost the better part of one of her nails in a scuffle. She is not allowed out with the other birds unless it's for brief cage cleanings. She is very vocal and loud, and does not talk. She is the most destructive of my 3 birds and requires more shredding toys (thus more $$) than the other two combined.

As for the "I own a bird that's illegal" part of the discussion: I had no problem finding a local vet that would see Pippin - they simply listed him as a conure. He saw 3 different vets during his stay in Tennessee: two vets at private practices, and the vets at University of Tennessee Knoxville. None of the vets cared that he was a Quaker, and I was never threatened with calling the authorities. That said, I never took him out in public and took great care in not giving away his species when visitors to the house inquired about him. I met quite a few fellow Quaker owners at exotic/parrot expos, and the general consensus was that authorities didn't care.

That said, I absolutely wouldn't want to move to a state where one of my pets could be confiscated and euthanized. As much as I've said that I didn't have issues, the mere threat of losing him to a ridiculous law was stressful and not something I recommend to anyone.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If anyone is curious, here is a quote from an article on which states have banned quaker parrots:

"States that have banned Quaker parrots as pets are California, Colorado (unless owned before 1990), Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee and Wyoming, according to the Quaker Parakeet Society (QPS.) Once legal in Maine, the state’s legislature voted to prohibit them about two years ago, says Sheila Blanchette, a rehome assistance and possibilities program chairperson with QPS."

This article might not be up-to-date, as it was written in 2015, so be sure to check the current laws in your area, if you want to be sure.

Update - this is a better source with more updated info:

Quakers

Real Name
radu nahoi
Thank you, everyone, you have been very helpful sadly my plans to move into a new house have been delayed as the tenant will be gone in about a month or maybe 2 but until then ill keep doing my research so I can get a parrot upon moving to the property.
I do have my eye on a mitered conure at my local bird rescue.

Jaspa

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
The local council of my city (Auckland, NZ) are implementing a law on 1 September that certain breeds (quakers, lorries and IRN included) cant be bred and sold within the city and can only go out of the house if for the vet or moving house. At one stage, also included was that you had to apply to the council to go to the vets and they backed down on that, as very inhumane if a bird is suffering. They also had galahs and cockatoos included in the list but they have been removed from the banned list for now. Council are wanting to protect local bird wildlife becasue of escaped pets, but cats do more damage. I am looking to leave Auckland next year and then my quaker can go out and about with me with no restrictions. Also thinking of adding another bird next year though undecided what kind, maybe a IRN so definitely need to leave Auckland!