• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN Update!

NotReptile

Moving in
It's been 3 months since I've welcomed Ares [IRN] into my home. Since then I've seen no progress in him :( I've heard a bit about IRNs having a 'bluffing' stage so that may be the cause since he is still pretty young. We decided that we'll keep his cage doors open at all times - I've owned GCCs before and this helped me tame them - so he spends his days [and nights] outside of his cage. He has not gone back into his cage in these 3 months and we've moved all his bowls and water onto the top of his cage - right where he sits. He doesn't move from his cage except when I or any of my family get close. I'm not sure what to really do. We talk to him and he does seem interested in our conversations - he moves to the edge of his cage to listen - but as soon as anyone gets close [slowly or not] he just flies around the room. I thought about capturing him at night - when it's dark - with a towel or something to put him back in his cage so I can get reasonably close but I'm not sure. Any suggestions? We tried giving him his favorite foods and that hasn't worked either.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am about to go to sleep (night in my region), but I will share a source which may help and tomorrow I can write something more if you have specific questions please ask them. :)

The main point is to take a step back and remember that some information on birds and their care is a bit dated. Birds do not bluff. Our birds are independent adult animals. It is our duty to respect their boundaries and to support their needs, not request that they bend to what we want. Check out this article and read more on GoodBirdInc's site to help give you some new ideas :)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Silver sage is a dedicated IRN breeder and enthusiasts. This is one of her articles

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Also you might engage in hands off but interactive foraging together. I did this with my quaker who was afraid of hands at first , so we could build positive interactions.

How I did, I set up a tall side table with a towel covering, near her cage, and pushed a comfy chair for me near enough I could lean over and put stuff on the table. But far enough away she felt comfortable being on the table and that I wouldn't grab at her.

Then to get her used to it, I started putting yummy treats and foods on the table. Yummy apple slice, fresh corn cut from the cob and some left on, a little pile of seeds, warm sweet potatoes( she loves sweet potatoes) . I let her get used to visiting the table for yummy while I just read or was on my phone in my comfy chair near. I did this for a few days till she was comfortable coming to the table and getting stuff.

Then start so very simple! Half a sheet of torn paper covering just half of the treat. Then brag on them when the move it and get treat. Birds love flattering! I act so impressed with their skill and intelligence !! She would back up and I covering again. She would get bolder and quicker. Then over the next days, make a little harder, cover in shredded papers. Lots of praise and being g so impressed with their amazing skill. Its lots of fun to do together hands off. They gain confidence. Then you and take it all as far as you like and their current skill level ! Putting treats in boxs full of shredded paper and toy bits. Twisted inside of paper.

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I’ve only had my Jade a short time, since late 2019. In that time he’s gone through some difficult transitions and I had to learn quickly what made him tick. Luckily he did ultimately bond with other birds but he’s a very hands off bird. I found he is highly motivated with ‘fly’ a game we play. He also likes music, talking, treats, and large bulky toys. I’ve dealt with a lot of birds but Jade was my first well taken care of emergency rehome. I hope you can glean something useful from what I shared. IRNs are largely people needy but not cuddly birds. In my limited experience anyway.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have an ARN that at this moment is sleeping on top of his cage, so you're not alone!

My little man is 2 years old and above anything else he knows exactly what he likes and what he doesn't, and he's NOT impressed by human shenanigans. Most of the other parrots I've met LOVE praise and attention, but not Cotton - he just looks at me like I'm an idiot or walks straight away :bored::laugh::roflmao:

It's been slow progress but there is progress week by week. He often just wants to be as high as he can get so if I could mount his cage to the ceiling he'd probably use it just fine! My goal is target training but mostly I've just worked on our relationship and building trust. Things like always talking in a calm voice and explaining what I'm doing, really focusing on learning his body language so that I can back away when he gets nervous, wait until he relaxes, them move forward again, stuff like that. Finding toys he likes was huge- he can spend a lot of time chewing things up and talking while he's playing, and it was a good way for me to see how comfortable he was once he started playing while I was in the room.

I also always have my morning coffee and dinner with him - and he waits for me now before he starts eating. So the little things really add up over time.

For us it was around the 4-5 month mark where we started understanding one another, and we have a ways to go yet, so don't give up! You'll get there with patience and consistency!