• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN Moulting & Biting

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
...that is good news. :)

My thought about biting...you can't ignore it...that means you separate the bird from the person they're biting (naturally ;) ) and you positively redirect your bird...
Ah yes, I think actually do that most of the time by giving her one of her foot toys or something else she likes to hold in her beak. What do you usually do if your bird bites? I don’t want to encourage it!

I’m happy she seems to be calming down. I actually think she also hated my nail polish too! I got my nails done for my birthday and I have a feeling that she did not like it! After I took them off she was so much better. She’s still a little bit nippy on occasion but not drawing blood or anything like that anymore! Her moult seems to be almost over too which is good news.

I’m off to the post office now to pick up a bunch of new toys for them both that I ordered online so hopefully that will cheer her up a bit too!
:bounce4:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
1. What would you suggest I do? I have always been told not to react when a parrot bites?
It's best to avoid the bites. If a bite does occur, you get the bird off of you for at least a few seconds. In other words, don't allow the behavior to continue.

2. She’s doing a lot better this week. 95% back to normal now. Stepping up and letting me pat her. She’s been spending most of her time in the living room on one of her multiple perches or playing with her foot toys.
Great! Sounds like the nail polish could have been bugging her, on top of possibly going through a molt!

3. She only patted on the head. Head scratches. I guess if you’re American you’d call it petting.
Great! Just wanted to make sure that it did not include petting anywhere other than the head! :)

4. Yes, she has multiple foraging toys rotated regularly.
Hopefully she's using her foraging toys!

5. Yes, we’ve been target training in and outside the cage.
Perfect! You're doing great! :D I've found that sometimes when a bird becomes extra bitey, it can help to up the training some!

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
1. What would you suggest I do? I have always been told not to react when a parrot bites?
It's best to avoid the bites. If a bite does occur, you get the bird off of you for at least a few seconds. In other words, don't allow the behavior to continue.

2. She’s doing a lot better this week. 95% back to normal now. Stepping up and letting me pat her. She’s been spending most of her time in the living room on one of her multiple perches or playing with her foot toys.
Great! Sounds like the nail polish could have been bugging her, on top of possibly going through a molt!

3. She only patted on the head. Head scratches. I guess if you’re American you’d call it petting.
Great! Just wanted to make sure that it did not include petting anywhere other than the head! :)

4. Yes, she has multiple foraging toys rotated regularly.
Hopefully she's using her foraging toys!

5. Yes, we’ve been target training in and outside the cage.
Perfect! You're doing great! :D I've found that sometimes when a bird becomes extra bitey, it can help to up the training some!

Thank you so much :swoon:

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
Hey guys,

So thebehaviour is still happening and unfortunately it is causing a lot of stress in the household.

We haven’t been letting her out as frequently which breaks my heart. She is flying for peoples faces and biting cheeks, ears, noses etc when she’s out and drawing blood. It’s pretty extreme and I am even considering something I never thought I’d dream of: having her wings clipped. :cry:

What do you think?

I am NOT going to rehome her and I am determined to work through it. Please give me any tips and advice.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you considered an online consult with a behaviorist? I believe there are a few who do online consults and are not over priced but are very helpful with getting positive changes.
@TikkiTembo has had some sessions and I believe they have helped her situation improve greatly.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My suggestion?

Stop letting her out of her cage and allowing this behavior. Clipping her wings will not guarantee that she'll stop attacking people... she may just run after them instead of flying to attack.

How has the target training been going with her acting this way?

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
My suggestion?

Stop letting her out of her cage and allowing this behavior. Clipping her wings will not guarantee that she'll stop attacking people... she may just run after them instead of flying to attack.

How has the target training been going with her acting this way?
It’s okay. Sometimes she will attack the stick if she’s feeling moody. She was nice this morning.

I feel mean keeping her locked up but I just have to at the moment.

I know a bird behaviourist who works through their avian vet. I’ll give her a call today and set up an appointment.