• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN head petting

HeatherD

Meeting neighbors
I only pet my female IRN on the head, but lately she's making clucking sounds and leaning over with her head up and eyes super pinned. It looks a bit like a hormonal female IRN. I'm even avoiding touching her beak. Today just when I lifted my finger over her head, she did this behavior. Do you guys think it is possible that petting a ringneck's head could cause mating behavior? Do you think maybe this recent behavior could be the result of breeding season hormones (she's only a year old)? Thanks for your help

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:bump7:

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I think she’s just especially amorous and any contact or promise of contact triggers it. My CAG sometimes gets like that. I doubt the head touching is specifically causing the behavior.

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
I only pet my female IRN on the head, but lately she's making clucking sounds and leaning over with her head up and eyes super pinned. It looks a bit like a hormonal female IRN. I'm even avoiding touching her beak. Today just when I lifted my finger over her head, she did this behavior. Do you guys think it is possible that petting a ringneck's head could cause mating behavior? Do you think maybe this recent behavior could be the result of breeding season hormones (she's only a year old)? Thanks for your help
Female Indian ringnecks do this when they love you no matter if you are touching them or not it's a courtship dance they do for thier mates. The best thing you can do is not encourage this behaviour as it can lead to serious problems like getting egg bound.