• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN Ear Testing

Hossinn

Moving in
Hello All,

This is my first post since bringing "Neela" home yesterday. We adopted Neela (18 month old, male, IRN) from a loving family who could no longer care for him properly.

Neela is very comfortable stepping up for anybody in the family...mom, dad, Quin (11), Melina (8). This is technically Melina's bird although we know there's a good possibility Neela will become mom & dad's bird someday.

I'm going to have MANY questions for the "pros", but I thought I'd start with this one first:

Neela is happy to sit on Melina's shoulder. Every once in a while (not frequently) he wants to "test"(?) nibbling on her upper ear. If we KNEW he would not clamp down, it wouldn't be a problem, however, we don't know that so I think this is a behavior we want to attempt to train out of him.

At this time, Melina is simply saying "No" or "No Bite" and moving her head so her ear is not presented in such an appetizing manner

Are most in agreement regarding not wanting this behavior? Is our current strategy appropriate? Are there any other recommended steps in the process, or additional suggestions to curb the behavior?

Thank you!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! It is generally not the best idea to let a parrot sit on your shoulder as they have strong beaks, and your shoulder is very close to your eyes. It is best to teach him to be happy siting on your hand, or arm, when he is on you.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Welcome!

Hossinn

Moving in
Welcome! It is generally not the best idea to let a parrot sit on your shoulder as they have strong beaks, and your shoulder is very close to your eyes. It is best to teach him to be happy siting on your hand, or arm, when he is on you.
Thank you for the response...but parrots have been sitting on shoulders since the Pirate days!!!

I'm curious, and wonder if any polls have been taken. I wonder what percentage of parrot owners allow their birds to sit on their shoulder vs those that don't? I'm not at all trying to argue your point, I'm only curious.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
.....about pirates..
Yes, and the pirate is usual wearing a black patch over one eye...
And a hook for a hand and a peg leg...
On Some of Joey's most hormonal days...I feel just like that!
:embarassed:

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome to AA. This subject has been discussed and debated many times on AA. A parrot on the shoulder of a child is a definite NO NO.

Just keep in mind that all Pirates have two things in common - a patch over their eye and a parrot on their shoulder.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
That is a risk of having a bird on your shoulder. They have access to your ears and eyes. My birds do not generally bother with mine but sometimes they do. However they will bite my husband's ears whenever they are with him. He doesn't hold the birds much. When they bite me they are OFF my shoulder immediately and I curse myself because I know better. It's kind of what they do I think. Why put yourself at risk. I like my ears and eyes!:cool4: I LOVE my Fids too. But they are better to look at with TWO eyes.

Last edited:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Sincerely, my caique was on my head and he reached down and grabbed my eyebrow/eyelid and bit down pretty hard. It was swollen for a couple of days, sore for a week.
We don't do that anymore. Glad it wasn't an eye or it would have meant "a priate's life for me" ......

Hossinn

Moving in
"a pirate's life for me"! Hahahaha. These are probably old (funny/not funny) jokes in this community, but being new here, I'm LOL!