• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN aggression/bonding

Channelrat

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Whitney Johnson
Hello friends!!!! I’m relatively new to parrot owning, had parakeets in my childhood and currently own a sparrow. But, my grandma has an Indian ring necked she wants me to take. My boyfriwnd and I have wanted a parrot for a while now and this seems like a good avenue to take.
only thing is, I’m wondering if there’s hope here. Some lady bought and raised this bird (kiwi) from hatchling. Then she decided she no longer wants him. So she gave him
To my grandma who already has a Macaw. My grandma only loves her Macaw. She is fine with kiwi but he really lacks attention. He speaks but he lunges at you if you get too close. And I will admit, shamefully, that I used to lightly taunt him as a child because he was “mean” and I believe he remembers...
Kiwi is estimated to be around 13-15.
I’d love to take kiwi and work on bonding with him and loving him and providing the best life he can possibly have but I’m scared I’m biting off more than I can chew with this one. Is it possible to tame a bird who remembers me taunting him as a child, who got ditched by his owners who raised him, and who lives in a neglected state right now??? Is it hopeless?
he remembers his previous owner and turns into a sweet little lovebug when she comes to visit every few years or so. Advice please:/
Thanks for reading! Sorry it’s so long

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wow what a history:)

I think that he will definitely remember but I also think you can win his trust. They are very smart and he will learn over time that you are different and worthy of trust.
mother mebers will give you detailed info on rebuilding the relationship and reshaping it :heart:

I think with the support you’ll receive from the AA members you will easily make it work for you all!

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
One of the blessings of bonding with an IRN is how unbelievably clear they are in communicating with you. Their body language, eye pinning, even the lunging makes them extremely easy to read. An IRN will always tell you what they’re not comfortable with and that gives you a ton of ground for developing a relationship with them. I think if you’re willing to be patient and put in the time, you have an excellent chance at bonding with him and bettering his life.

In my experience IRNs will only bite you as a last resort, they’ll give you all kinds of warnings (posturing, pinning, lunging) in the hopes that you “hear” them and stop doing whatever it is your doing that’s bothering them. If you can learn to “listen,” he will learn to trust you. I researched this species extensively when my guy came to me (also through family that didn’t want him anymore) and the only thing I found that’s wrong about them is the “bluffing” business. They’re not bluffing, they’re communicating ”please stop or I will bite.” I have found my guy to be the most gentle and polite bird in my flock. They’re definitely more of a hands-off species. They often don’t like hands and don’t want to be cuddled and pet but they do love to be with their flock, happily observing on their play stand or on your shoulder. Although I don’t recommend rushing into the latter (for at least a year). Once you show him you understand him and will respect his boundaries, I think you and Kiwi will do just great together!

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
That's such a sweet story. I can't say I know IRN in specific, but what risk is there in trying? I'm sure your grandma would rather you had Kiwi than giving him up or leaving him without much attention. It might take time, but I think it's worth giving it a shot. Any chance you can ask his previous owner for some advice? Maybe she can help you can get off on the right foot with him?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I appreciate your frank and honest history. I am sure he remembers your taunting, but birds have a surprising amount of resilience and forgiveness.

The key is adding more positive memories to establish trust. In time he will associate you with treats, play, attention and fun. Normally once you earn that trust the relationship can blossom in unexpected ways. The hardest thing is perseverance. Some parrots can take years to trust people again. If you think you are prepared to wait by his side until he is ready I say go for it.

Respect his body language and set him up for success. The power of choice builds confidence which goes a long way with birds.

berries

Strolling the yard
Its great that you want to do well by this bird, and dont let past experiences or his current state keep you from trying. He will probably remember your teasing but with time and positive interactions he will trust you. Birds are more forgiving and resilient than you'd think. The key here is patience, learning about his body language, and making sure you do things on his terms. It may take months or even years but a trusting bird companion is worth all the time it takes!

Channelrat

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Whitney Johnson
Thank you all so much for your advice!!!! As someone said here, I will try to get ahold of his previous owner. She should be easy to get ahold of because she’s my grandmas friend so I’m sure that wouldn’t be a problem. I’m really really hoping and praying that he forgives me. I feel so bad. I didn’t know how horrible that was as a kid. Especially for me, I’ve always been an animal obsessor.
mill keep in touch! Thank you all so so much!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Ditto everything @Beasley has said!!!

There is a *TON* of bad information out there on working with ringnecks, so please don't fall for that trap! As mentioned, they are very expressive and prefer to bite as a last resort. Learn to read his body language and work with him, not against him! :)

You can find plenty of great training information here!