• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRG problems

Justnick22

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nick
I have an Indian Ringneck, that is a female. She was born on 4/11/2020. I picked her up a little over a month ago now. She rarely comes out of the cage. When I put my hand near the cage she flaps and gets so scared she will even come off her perch To the other side if I go near the side she’s on. I don’t think she was hand tamed. She just doesn’t like hands. So I don’t know what to do. I’ve been talking With her, trying to feed her from my hands, she’s comfortable with me in the room while she’s in her cage. And when she does come out of her cage on accident, like gets so scared and flys out she flaps around on the ground and screams. Any advice would help!
Thanks.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
What a beautiful ringneck!

I have a ringneck of a similar age that has now been with me for a few months. He was exactly the same as you described, very very scared, especially for hands.
He is no longer scared of me, but hands will always be his kryptonite.

I've heard before that ringnecks have this weird fear of hands naturally, and I fully believe that!

I think she needs a lot of time and patience.

Try target training or even start by giving treats. If you put another bowl in her cage that is just for treats, put in a treat every time you walk past. She'll get used to this and start associating you with food! Always a good thing.

My IRN is still scared of me in his cage, but he is a different bird outside his cage. I would always encourage letting her out as much as they can, but start slowly. She might not know how to fly properly yet and will need practice!

My parrotlet took a few weeks to fully come out of her cage due to being afraid of flying, she just didn't how to. We trained her to fly and now she won't stay in her cage!

Has she had her wings clipped? If so, that will be another hurdle to overcome.

Lots of patience, loving, treats and more patience!