• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Iowa Parrot Rescue

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Actually a bit south in NE Missouri nearish Kirksville. How do you guys keep that place so clean? The floors were spotless!
Our amazing volunteers! They are cleaned at minimum daily :) The volunteers all care so much, it is incredible.

Looks like we are proceeding with Seymour. Next step is a home visit from Mike. A new hanging perch is under way (man is Stainless Steel hardware expensive, but I just wasn't comfortable using electroplated (zinc) coated hardware. Not as bad as hot dipped, but was still concerning.).
I am surprised that Mike will be doing a home visit so far away with his COVID concerns. Yes, he and all of us other volunteers are vaccinated but he has been very very careful about the whole thing.
Also yes, SS always is the way to go. No zinc.
I'm glad you were able to get inspiration from some of Mike's hanging stands! But please do check on it at minimum daily, we had one chewed by a macaw that was not removed and fixed after extensive chewing and the (handicapped) bird fell with the stand and eventually had to have an eye removed due to the trauma. The macaw is okay now, but we feared for her life at the time. (she was fostered during healing time and adopted by her foster not long after)

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Oh, worry not, it will be seem MUCH more than daily. I'll seldom gone more than 3 hours a day, and that perhaps once or twice a week. My normal routine is to be in my office by 9am, leaving around 9-10pm (office is 500 feet from our house - its my man cave...) So the bird will normally be with about 8 feet of me at least 12 hours a day. Once I get it harnessed trained, and we built a second stand, it will slept in the house with us. Probably not in our master bedroom, only because we have vaulted ceilings in there that would make hanging a tree stand a bit of an issue, but on the same floor - that will add another hour to so.

It will become a family member, not a pet...

Only concern about it being in the house is how it will react to my wife's Sun Conure, which is on one of our shoulders in the morning, and on hers whenever she is in the house.

Any recommendation on scrubbing up the inevitable bird poop that misses the pans? We find spots the conure leaves behind harder to get up than expected.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For poo I really like the cleaner called “Poop Off” it’s my number 1 Amazon repurchase auto ship. Comes in a spray, a squirt bottle, etc. I use it straight on dried poo spots, then come back and it wipes right up. Hasn’t hurt our wood floors or any painted surfaces, and it’s fantastic on cloth if anybody hits the curtains or upholstery around here.
Another one I really like is Natures Miracle bird cage cleaner spray. Only used when the birds are out of their cages and it’s not a sanitizer but really saves from scrubbing poo.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Ordered! Thanks!