• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Iowa Parrot Rescue

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Had a pleasant visit there today (URL). Visits are by appointment only, after filling out an application, which makes total sense. No application fee required, unlike Gabriel Foundation in Colorado.

Mike had 54 birds at the time of our visit, a number of which are permanent residents for various legitimate reasons (like a bonded Hyacinth/Greenwing pair full of old-age related medical issues that had been together for over 50 years!).

He showed us, and talked about, everything in his keep, with an initial focus on the Macaws. That included the good, the bad, and the ugly (calling one of his birds something like a killer daemon spawn - guaranteed anyone who put a hand in its cage would be viscously attacked).

While preparing for this post, I went back to his website and found this quote: " WE DON'T PAY FOR BIRDS, AND WE DON'T HELP PEOPLE SELL BIRDS OR CAGES. IF WE'RE INVOLVED, NO MONEY IS....EVER. " And he means it. He does not charge an adoption fee, or rehoming fee, or anything of the sort. He does screen his potential adopters (his online application is pretty complete), and ABSOLUTELY comes and does a home visit prior to providing a bird - even if your 3 hours away like I am. He does sell a few things (we picked up a T-Shirt for $25) to help offset cost, and he accepts donations, which unsurprisingly often come from adopters. But there is no fixed fees involved. On an interesting side, since there is no money tied to the adoption process, his out-of-state clients are free to home otherwise restricted CITIES birds. That said, in the past he use to receive a lot of Military Macaws, but hasn't seen them nearly as frequently as he once did. (Some of you may recall I'm looking for a Military or ideally, a Blue Throated Macaw.) He has NEVER seen a BTM, at least one that was alive...

We went there with potential interest in Big Boy, a 10 year old Miligold. Did nothing for me. But that is why visits are important.

I had a passing interest in Seymore, a 28 year old Ruby male. He has possibilities... he is in perfect health and seems to be a gentlemen - easily stepping onto my arm, but not going to my shoulder even though he likes Mike's. Even got a kiss out of him. Only two concerns: 1) My expanded habitat cages I ordered back in January are still having source material issues (thank you Covid) and 2) Since arriving at IPR he lives on a rather complex hanging perch system (think dozens of intertwined 1-2" branches hanging from the ceiling). He hasn't been in a cage there since arriving! I have a few too many destructible items in my office (like computer keyboards) for me to trust him alone at night uncaged. Likewise our log home could take serious damage. Yeah, we know Macaws chew wood - but most of our birds that try are quickly trained out of doing so with a few stern words repeated over a couple of incidents. Macaws can just do damage SO much faster than say a Sun Conure... (our Sun has left its marked on wooden doors and frames, but that seemed to be a passing fancy with the feedback we have given him). I wasn't looking for a hybrid, but maybe... just maybe...

Speaking of training, he showed us a number of Amazons. As we prepared to leave we walked around and he re-caged everything he had let out during our visit. For one of the amazons, that consisted of telling it "Time to go home!", and I'll be danged if that bird didn't immediately work his way back into its cage. That was awesome!

The facility itself is all in one moderate size building, with a few rooms set aside. Essentially he has one misc. smaller bird room - one room just for African Greys, which have recently been appearing in growing numbers - and then sorts the birds in groups in the remaining space. e.g. The amazons are towards the front, and the macaws are in the back. Again, he was VERY upfront on each bird: "This bird has serious foot and related balance issues" "This bird doesn't like women" "These birds are on medical hold, we think it might have a fungus in its lungs which might take awhile to clear up" "This bird has never been handled in 35 years until it came to us - making progress, but its slow going..." etc.

Overall, VERY impressed.

He does plan on coming for a home visit sometimes in the next few weeks (scheduling complicated a bit by it being a 3 hour drive each way). Man is dedicated! We will go from there. If not Seymore, we would be pre-approved should a Military or, however unlikely, a BTM come to him - once the birds where cleared medically.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I encourage you to exercise caution with the thought that because no money would exchange hands if you were to adopt a military from him, you’re free and clear on the CITES guidelines of Military Macaws.

As per: Ownership of a listed species is not prohibited by the Act and, therefore, does not require a permit. Because we determined that listing the great green and military macaws as endangered species under the Act is appropriate, we are not able to develop a 4(d) rule for this species. Section 4(d) of the Act allows the Service to develop a special rule to apply the prohibitions of section 9 or to provide measures that are necessary and advisable to provide for the conservation of threatened species only. A special rule cannot be promulgated for a species that is listed as endangered under the Act. The sale; offer for sale; and delivery, receipt, carrying, transport, or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce in the course of a commercial activity is prohibited. That said, not all interstate trade is prohibited under the ESA. Interstate transfer of animals that are not for sale, offered for sale, or in the course of a commercial activity is not prohibited.

Even if no money exchanges hands, adoption of personal pets are considered a transaction because pets are, by law, property. A simple bill of sale or adoption agreement is legally a transaction even if the cost is free. This is especially important to note, because if he is a registered non-profit he could face legal impositions. And, you as the new owner of a CITES bird will at some point need to pinpoint the acquisition of your bird. My avian vet is required to ask where CITES birds originated before rendering services, that’s how stringent these laws are.

You don’t even want to know how awful it is on the bird in question if authorities remove the bird on criminal investigation or warrant—
It’s really ugly. It’s hard to wait. But I would 100% wait until you find one absolutely free and clear and in your home state.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I checked out Seymour & Big Boy. They look like nice birds!

The Amazon that goes to roost on command sounds kind of amazing too.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What a neat place and an amazing fellow! :pinklol3:

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
So trying to get my head around Seymour's current cage-free status. Apparently he spends his days and nights on his hanging perch system. Given that I have about 5 acres of mostly hickory woods, I suspect I could build something similar rather easily. We could then hang one system in my office and maybe two on the main open floor area in the house. Guessing I could find some large shallow trays that I could place under them to catch droppings? With those in place, I'd still probably want a night cage - at least until I was sure he wouldn't wander at night.

If that worked out, I could drop my order of the two Expanded Habitat cages, and adjust the toy order some.

Thoughts?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's a neat idea. :)

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So trying to get my head around Seymour's current cage-free status. Apparently he spends his days and nights on his hanging perch system. Given that I have about 5 acres of mostly hickory woods, I suspect I could build something similar rather easily. We could then hang one system in my office and maybe two on the main open floor area in the house. Guessing I could find some large shallow trays that I could place under them to catch droppings? With those in place, I'd still probably want a night cage - at least until I was sure he wouldn't wander at night.

If that worked out, I could drop my order of the two Expanded Habitat cages, and adjust the toy order some.

Thoughts?
I’ve had many cage free macaws over the years. None of my crew ever budged from their stands/gym after lights out. Granted, I’ve never been the type to sleep in. But everyone was always pretty much in their same spots in the morning as they were at bedtime. (The Toos were a different story. I’d trust them not to wander as much as I’d trust a four year old child with a chocolate ice cream cone next to a wedding dress.)
Beneath my hanging gyms I always had plastic shower curtains. Five dollars worth did the room if I bought from the dollar store. They sweep off easily enough. If I wanted to scrub/mop them I could…if not, straight to the trash once a week. I did purchase the waterproof fabric kind of liners and those are easily washed if you’re not the kind that like tossing plastic into the landfill so often.
But I think you’ll find, once you wrap your mind around it, free sleeping macaws aren’t so bad. Granted, there is always the risk of house damage but it’s no worse than having a teenager in the house.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
So trying to get my head around Seymour's current cage-free status...
Thoughts?
That's Oscar's current setup. I bought him a cage when preparing for his arrival, but he only uses it (begrudgingly) if I'm going to be out of the house for a while.
I use a large roll of kraft paper to catch the mess and it's fairly easy to maintain.
He's flighted, but stays put, especially after he beak-grinds himself into blissful slumber as it gets dark.
I'll be curious to see what you end up doing.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
First thing first... I need to pass the house inspection and get them to allow me to adopt Seymour. That said, my daughter's boyfriend is going to start collecting hickory branches...

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First thing first... I need to pass the house inspection and get them to allow me to adopt Seymour. That said, my daughter's boyfriend is going to start collecting hickory branches...
Do you want a son in law? That’s how you get a son in law. :laugh:

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
@KevinC Hello there! I have been a volunteer at IPR for years and it's great to read that others see what I see in it. Mike truly is amazing.
I adopted Levi, my severe macaw from the rescue. :)
Where in Iowa are you from?

Last edited:

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Have one already but he isnt local. This guy is 17 and very practical but still working on figuring his future out. Hopefully have a few years before i need to worry about it.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
@KevinC Hello there! I have been a volunteer at IPR for years and it's great to read that others see what I see in it. Mike truly is amazing.
I adopted Levi, my severe macaw from the rescue. :)
Where in Iowa are you from?
Actually a bit south in NE Missouri nearish Kirksville. How do you guys keep that place so clean? The floors were spotless!

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Looks like we are proceeding with Seymour. Next step is a home visit from Mike. A new hanging perch is under way (man is Stainless Steel hardware expensive, but I just wasn't comfortable using electroplated (zinc) coated hardware. Not as bad as hot dipped, but was still concerning.).

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like we are proceeding with Seymour. Next step is a home visit from Mike. A new hanging perch is under way (man is Stainless Steel hardware expensive, but I just wasn't comfortable using electroplated (zinc) coated hardware. Not as bad as hot dipped, but was still concerning.).
No zinc at all. Yes, stainless is expensive. Get used to expensive, lol, Macaws are the spendiest of the bunch!

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Oh well aware! Had a GW in a previous life. Will have to find a supplier of nuts in 50lb bags again, along with many other things.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Most of us use nuts.com or anuts. I stock up in November-December when they go on sale and fill a chest freezer.