• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Iodine Solution For Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bonnie
Does anyone know much about the application of iodine solution for birds? My bottle says 1 teaspoon per 10oz of water daily. That sounds like a bit much for such little birds like the budgies? I would say a drop from the dropper but a teaspoon. Uff! Da!:omg:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Have no idea of why you would be giving this to your birds:
Foodinfo
Kitchen Physician - Greening of the Parrot Diet
I have had birds from budgies up to macaws for 20 plus years and have never had to give them idodine for anything....
Much better to give them FRESH LIVE foods instead....JMHO:hug8:

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Why would you need to add any sort of iodine to their water? The only time I've heard of it is in the rare bird with thyroid issues.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Does anyone know much about the application of iodine solution for birds? My bottle says 1 teaspoon per 10oz of water daily. That sounds like a bit much for such little birds like the budgies? I would say a drop from the dropper but a teaspoon. Uff! Da!:omg:
-----------------------

What are you using?...Lugol's? Or another brand. If it is full strength then you have to mix a concentrate which is mixing 2cc to 30cc of water in a small jar or container. This is the stock solution. From this you make a working solution which is: 1 drop of the stock solution to 250cc of water.

Bonnie

Real Name
Bonnie
Srtiels, I am using Feather Glo. It is for the prevention of iodine deficiency. The dosage.Add to water daily. Add ten drops per ounce (1 teaspoon per 10 oz. or one tablespoon per quart) of fresh drinking water. Guranteed Analysis: Each fluid onuce (29 ml) (1 fl.oz) contains 9.5 mg postassium iodide. Ingredients: Compound Iodine solution, 1,2,3, propanetriol. None of their seed or pellets have iodine in them. I checked the labels. I have a combination mineral cuttle bone for the two keets to chew on but don't have the ingredients for it. If the cuttle bone comes from a sea creature you would think their would be iodine in it. I know the cuttle bone provides calcium & phosphorus. These two are youngsters about 4-5 months old. As far as getting them to eat carrots etc., we are working on that.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have never heard of iodine deficiency in birds. Who, why was this supplement recommended to you?
ML

Bonnie

Real Name
Bonnie
I read about it. Keets & other birds need iodine to regulate their thyroids. You would think the cuttle bone would have iodine in it. We eat iodized salt to avoid goiters just like the birds whom also can end up with goiters & other health problems.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's a new one for BF and me, but you learn something new every day. Maybe some keet/tiel people will chime in here.
ML

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I have raised budgies/Tiels for years and never had any problems with this...I fed seeds BUT also FRESH /LIVE foods at the same time...eggs are a source iodine ...I not saying this can't have a problem with this, I haven't seen it or heard of it until now....:hug8:
Feeding the Companion Parrot by Pamela Clark
also:
Iodine Deficiency:Goiter, or thyroid hyperplasia, was previously a serious problem of pet budgerigars and still occurs in certain areas. The thyroid gland in budgerigars is normally ~3 mm long but can enlarge to ≥1 cm. Classic signs include respiratory stridor, wheezing, or clicking due to the pressure of the thyroid on the syrinx. Regurgitation is seen in some severe cases, and the right jugular vein may be engorged; these signs are caused by mechanical obstruction of the thoracic inlet. Affected birds tolerate stress poorly. Lugol’s iodine (1 drop/250 mL of drinking water) can be used until conversion to a pellet or seed is accomplished and clinical signs have subsided.
Merck Veterinary Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.