• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing two parakeets

PamD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hi!

My parakeet “Hello” was given to me November 4, 2023. S/he is still very young so I’m not sure of the gender, but the cere is beginning to look tan-ish so I think Hello may be female.

I got another baby parakeet “Uccello” January 17, 2024 and have kept them in separate cages and rooms, but within hearing distance of each other.

I do not EVER let them out of their cages because I have a dog who is very jealous of them and I fear for their safety

I moved Uccello’s cage (which is slightly bigger and will hopefully soon become home to both of them) into the same room today. They are about 10 feet apart and can see each other clearly. I plan to wait about a week before moving the cages side-by-side.

Everything I’ve read online advises that I let the original bird (Hello) out of the cage to interact with the new bird Uccello, but I’m afraid to do that because of my dog, and neither bird has ever been out of his/her cage.

My question is this: after about a week of having their cages right next to each other, may I just open the cage doors so that they can go into each other’s cages on their own? I’m really not sure what else to do, and would very much appreciate any advice.

I have an aviary that I’m in the process of rebuilding which they will both live in, (probably sometime late this summer,) but dearly hope they will become friends sooner!

Thank you so much!

Scorpi0

Jogging around the block
I am pretty sure as soon as you open their cage door they will start exploring eachothers’ cages

If they can fly, be careful that they dont fly out of the room or into any windows.

Congrats on your new budgies :) Post some pictures and we can help determine if theyre boys or girls.

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
When I was introducing a second bird, I had him in a separate cage for less than a week I think. After a day or so, I brought the cages together so they can be close. After that, then I opened the door of the first bird to fly around. The day after I just let both doors open into each cage (I had to block any openings in between so the new bird did not fly out). Then the new bird stayed in the main cage after that.
That is what I did. But I do not have any other animals that could intervene with that during the cages' openings together.
Can the dog be kept out of the room the birds are in while cages open?

PamD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
When I was introducing a second bird, I had him in a separate cage for less than a week I think. After a day or so, I brought the cages together so they can be close. After that, then I opened the door of the first bird to fly around. The day after I just let both doors open into each cage (I had to block any openings in between so the new bird did not fly out). Then the new bird stayed in the main cage after that.
That is what I did. But I do not have any other animals that could intervene with that during the cages' openings together.
Can the dog be kept out of the room the birds are in while cages open?

PamD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
My dog is such a big baby that if I put her in a different room for any length of time she will cry and bark. I’m living in an apartment right now, so that’s not a viable option.

They are so curious about each other! Hello, my first bird keeps climbing on the side of the cage closest to Uccello’s. I was originally planning on keeping them in separate cages for another week, but now I’m wondering if I shouldn’t open the cage doors right next to each other and let them meet and explore each other’s cages sooner. What do y’all think?
AC5660D8-3E7B-4295-BB50-960F2549330A.jpeg

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
My dog is such a big baby that if I put her in a different room for any length of time she will cry and bark. I’m living in an apartment right now, so that’s not a viable option.

They are so curious about each other! Hello, my first bird keeps climbing on the side of the cage closest to Uccello’s. I was originally planning on keeping them in separate cages for another week, but now I’m wondering if I shouldn’t open the cage doors right next to each other and let them meet and explore each other’s cages sooner. What do y’all think?
You got a neat setup there.
I am also stuck in an apartment so I know how limited space is having two cages.
I remember being told, as I was asking around too before getting a second bird, that an average was a week to keep them separated. I am also impatient. What I described from Little Lemon in his own cage before he just stuck with Tweety in the bigger one in the end, was not even seven days. Little Lemon was not in his cage by himself for more than three or four days if I recall.
They did not seem to be disliking one another from their own cages so I chanced it and it worked out for me. That is my one and only experience with introducing a new bird to a current.
Been over a month they been separated. I guess a trial run be an order. Maybe keep the dog out of the room for an hour or so? I am not a bird expert, but if the feathers start flying in a beak fight, maybe they need more time.

Scorpi0

Jogging around the block

View attachment 443222
Hey nice bong :D

Scorpi0

Jogging around the block
My first 4 birds I didnt quarantine at all. But I did get them all from Petco and supposedly they get checked for diseases before they sell them. They all had little squabbles and bickering the first day or two but then became buddies.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hey nice bong :D
I think that is a water spray bottle for the plant next to it. I have seen bottles like that made of glass.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I think that is a water spray bottle for the plant next to it. I have seen bottles like that made of glass.
I was just about to say this :rofl:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I hope they get along well for you

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
You got a neat setup there.
I am also stuck in an apartment so I know how limited space is having two cages.
I remember being told, as I was asking around too before getting a second bird, that an average was a week to keep them separated.
I also live in a tiny apartment! I work full time (and am scraping by on a teacher's salary :cry:).

It's a good idea to quarantine a new bird for at least one month, to prevent introducing disease to your other bird/flock. Any other separation can be played by ear depending on the birds' behavior and personalities-- there's no need to wait a week after quarantine if the signs they enjoy each other's company are there. I introduced Merlin and Percy immediately when quarantine ended.

Open space is ideal, because the bird has more control and feel like they can get away, but you can certainly try giving them access to one another and just watching and waiting. Generally budgies (especially young budgies) will want to be where the other budgies are. Watch for signs of bickering-- a little is normal, especially at night.

With the cages you have, I've actually used pliers to remove a wall and put two together. If you could remove your pup long enough, it would be worth creating one cage out of two for them to share (just use a few zip ties/cardboard to cover any gaps) while that aviary is pending!

Last edited:

grafton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Grafton
My first 4 birds I didnt quarantine at all. But I did get them all from Petco and supposedly they get checked for diseases before they sell them. They all had little squabbles and bickering the first day or two but then became buddies.
Quarantine is essential regardless of where your budgies came from. Petco, and rival Petsmart, are the largest customers for bird mill mass-produced budgies in the world. Budgies purchased there or any of the other big box chains, should absolutely be quarantined and for a good long time. I'm in those stores frequently for pet supplies and whenever I stop by the glass case where the budgies are kept I always can spot one or more fluffed up birds with bobbing tails.

PamD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
They seem to be getting along very well!