• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing two African Greys - what now?

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Ok, so I have now two wonderful birds. Two years old Edgar - TAG, who has been with me over a year and a half and four months old Akira - CAG, who has been here almost two weeks.

They have separate cages put next to each other. Both birds have great personalities, they are not aggresive, are calm, easy going and cooperating with me. Obviously Edgar is better trained and cooperates better but Akira also started her trainings and I can see the results.

When in the cage Akira is very calm and not so interested in Edgar. Edgar when in his cage is interested with Akira, but not that much. But he started to eat veggies again now when he sees Akira eating them. So it is quite often they eat together and they eat the same at the same time. Akira eats pellets, Edgar eats pellets. Akira eats veggies, Edgar at least tries to eat veggies or throws them away, but he touches them.
When outside (I let them out separately) Edgar is very interested in Akira. He likes now to sit on the chair because he can observe her. Even when he does his usual training he prefers to train on the chair.

Akira outside is not that interested in Edgar. She is fascinated with playground and the stands. She loves toys so mostly she plays or has training session with me. She flew once or twice to the top of Edgar's cage, but then she lost interest.
Edgar on the other side flies to Akira's cage top frequently. He also likes to peek through side bars. Akira hates it and gets all fluffy so I'm watching Edgar all the time and forbid going to Akira's cage.

Akira now lives in Edgar's old cage (she had the same model of cage in her previous home) but on Monday or Tuesday she is going to have a new, much bigger cage.

Edgar is quite territorial towards his things, which means when I want to change a toy on his playground I have to ask nicely for permission or put him into his cage. But he doesn't seem to mind when Akira plays on the playground (he is in his cage during this time). Maybe it is not so close to him.
He is a very polite and cooperative boy. Now, when Akira is with us, he is even more polite and cooperative. Like he wants to show off in front of her.

Ok. Long introduction but I wanted you to know all the background. Now my question: What do I do now? I would like to let them out together but I don't know if it is right time. How do I know if it is right time? Should I wait until Akira has a new cage so she doesn't have too many changes at once? The problem is I cannot let them out in another room. Only this room is available, with all Edgar's stands.
Please, help.
Thank you.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I give offer no advice, I've never had two large parrots together.