• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing: Stonecroft Cherished! (aka Cherie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackford

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
Oh,
PS, could you post about the history of this "new" style Morgan? Whats the bloodlines? Come from American Morgans crossed with Arabs? Some type of pony? She doesnt look that big? 14hh?

Thanks, can you tell im curious? :hehe::hehe:

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
WOW.
She is so beautiful! Congrats on the great placing :)
Amazing pictures aswell :dance4:

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oh, you want me to elaborate about another of my life's passions?
Don't mind if I do :D

They opened the registry back in the 1920's-1940's for morgans, so we had a lot of influences that were bred in. Saddlebred, Arab, Hackney Pony, Friesan, Draft, you name it! But we mostly began to split off the different purposes of the breed. Morgans, until then, had a strictly working purpose. They were well known for being short, compact, incredibly strong, and amazing trotters (and actually are an influence on the Standardbred breeding of today ;)). But their purpose changed from being a work horse to being more of a horse of pleasure and leisure. When they closed the books and would only allow "purebred" morgans to be registered, there was of course a whole hodge podge of breeding that had to be accepted as it had already been registered.

The older style morgans (or Lippitt) became founded on horses that either remained registered as a "purebred" morgan during this time, or was influenced by blood that retained the look the morgan had always had, so drafts and friesan lines are common when you go back far enough into their registry.

The newer style morgans are heavily influenced by Upwey Ben Don, Quietude, and Upwey King Peavine (who was either full-blood Saddlebred, or a saddlebred crossed with a morgan.) These lines produced one of the more prominent morgan stallions you see in new-style morgan pedigrees, Waseeka's Nocturne (pictured below)

And, by selective breeding and breeding for specific traits (a longer, slimmer neck, a flatter face with a more expressive eye, length of leg and shortness of back) Waseeka's In Command was born:

And from there, a huge explosion of "In Command" blood surges into the morgan market. Now, we have notable influences from various stallions that go back to Waseeka's In Command. There are also a few "outcross" lines as well that have arrived at the newer style of morgan through different lines but with the same selective breeding.

In our breeding program, we have one of the last direct daughters of Waseeka's In Command, Love to Command. She is 23 years old, and while she no longer produces, she did successfully produce an embryo transplant filly that is a spitting image of her, only chestnut. We named her Last Gift :). Lovie is retired and enjoys her days in the pasture.

We also have an "outcross" mare in our program, called AFF Soft Spoken (pictured somewhere on this forum when I used to show her!). She has no crosses to Waseeka lines. She goes back to Saddleback Supreme via her sire, Philharmonic, and Anthracite (a saddlebred or saddlebred/morgan cross) on the dam side by way of Carlyle Ten.

From what I can tell, the "newer" style morgans are far more prevalent over here in the US, however more and more are being exported to other countries to improve breeding stock. Our "World Championships" used to really be a National level show, but in the past 10 years we've seen a stronger Canadian, English, and this year Austrian presence of morgans.
So yes :) I think its slow in coming about, but eventually when morgans take a greater presence in other countries, you will see the different styles and looks emerging just like the arabians have the various styles and looks, but we aren't quite there yet. Most people still think of them as squat, chunky things.

As for Cherie, she is about 14.2 hands right now, but she's only a two year old and is still growing :) We expect her to top out somewhere around 15-15.2 hh.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Natalie, she is magnificent beyond words! :swoon:

big congrats to you!!!

:hug8:

Spinderella

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chloe
Wow, she's pretty! I can't believe they can make a horse stand like a dog!!!

She looks exactly like the Barbie horse I had when I was a kid..

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
She is so beautiful and so shiny :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
:faint: Awestruck:faint: Amazed:faint: Totally jealous!
I am in love..:heart:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
:faint: Awestruck:faint: Amazed:faint: Totally jealous!
I am in love..:heart:
And now for the three most famous words in the horse world:
She's For Sale! :D
But, I'm hoping she sticks around long enough to be my western pleasure mare :)

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Thank you everyone :) We are quite proud of her!
She is a true morgan through and through: Goes to the show ring and works like a war horse, comes back to the stall and is the sweetest love.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

And now for the three most famous words in the horse world:
She's For Sale! :D
But, I'm hoping she sticks around long enough to be my western pleasure mare :)
Two words for me~Lottery Tickets...:lol:

GypsyWitch

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lynn
I've always really liked the bay coloring on horses...so regal looking.:heart:

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
How on EARTH did I miss this thread!?!? What a gorgeous filly!!!!!! :heart: Congrats on her placing so well!

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
She is beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.