• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing New Birds to the Family

LydiaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
How should I go about introducing new birds to the family? I was thinking of adopting these two budgies from a woman who couldn't take care of them anymore, but I'm worried about how my Quaker parrot, Eddie, will feel about this. I want to give these budgies a loving home but I don't know how to introduce this to Eddie. Will he be jealous if I do this? How do I deal with this?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's nice that you want to help these birds. You should quarantine for at least 30 days before introducing new birds. Then you can put their cages in the same room and let them see each other. Then from there you can let try letting them out together supervised. And as for Eddie........ it's hard to say how he will react. He may like them, he may not. That's always a risk you run with new birds.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It's always a crap shoot introducing new birds to the household. Quakers are known to be cage protective, so you can probably know that a new bird that ventures near his cage will be dealt with in a rather harsh matter.

My littles share our front room, with their cages sitting right next to each other. The budgies control their cage and the area on top of it. No other bird is permitted in their "space". Violation of the space results in bites from the budgies.

The tiels share two cages,and it is a true sharing thing. They will sleep together...or sometimes one wants space and sleeps alone. All food in the cages are shared, which presents a problem for Buddy, our Nanday. He is very food protective, and will drive off any tiel that dares try to steal food from his cage.

With all these rules, will still have relative peaceful co-existence with the littles...they know the rules, so they follow them...