• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing myself

Jessi P

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello all, I am looking forward to meeting the folks here on the forum. My name is Jessi, I am an RN and also train racehorses with my other half. Had "inside" birds previously (parakeets and cockatiels) and have lots of experience with farm animals and "outside" birds (chickens ducks geese). I am a Mom of 4, with 2 teenagers (14 & 12) still at home. We are experienced with training and caring for mammals (horses dogs cats etc etc) but right now with this yellow nape Amazon I "inherited" about 10 days ago I am in great need of assistance of those more experienced with these particular birds and their mindsets.

A neighbor asked if I wanted this parrot, she needed to find it a new home and she knew of my reputation for finding animals a soft spot to land in. After seeing the situation I agreed to take the bird, who she has had for 5 years, he is approx 18 years old per her. If he didn't work out at my house I would find him a home. She mentioned she had run out of food and had been feeding him bread for a few days, so I phoned the other half to grab a bag of parrot food on his way home. We researched, approached him slowly, fed him (we also feed wild birds so he had quite the buffet to choose from). We slowly introduced fresh fruit and veggie clippings, and with each encounter he became friendlier until he jumped onto my hand and was gentle and friendly and walking all over every family member within 36-48 hours.

After about 3 days of wonderful interactions and friendliness, Buddy became grumpy and aggressive. After nasty bites to 3 family members I decided to remove his food bowl/buffet of wonderful goodies and insist he only eat from my hand. Not sure if this was the politically correct thing, but he was in no danger of starving and was not mistreated in any way. I approached him frequently to offer a single shelled peanut (at appropriate times, based his body language). At his first attempt to bite (usually after 20 -ish seconds of contemplation of my offering on his part) I said "that's not nice" and immediately turned and walked away, putting his treat in a spot he can see but not reach. After a few minutes I would repeat. After about 36 hours he displayed less aggression overall (eye flash, shoulders hunched, tail flare) and showed interest in my offering, and with a softer eye he began to gently nibble at the shelled peanut. I left with it and came back a couple minutes later, same interest and gentle nibble (like he acted initially once comfortable), so now he is accepting shelled nuts, sunflower seeds, fresh greens from my hand about 30% of the time. If he tries to bite I just turn and walk away, but come back within a few minutes to try again, as often as possible and/or appropriate, like every 2-5 minutes if my time and his body language permit.

So I'm looking for some guidance on where and how to proceed from here, I really want to be able to keep Buddy here and get him happy and healthy again. He hadn't been out of his cage for approx 3 years per previous owner, he has had a few sprays with a warm water bottle and we managed to clip a few of his incredibly long nails a wee bit shorter, still a long way to go there. At our house he is allowed loose pretty much 24 hours a day, he usually stays atop of his cage. We have 2 cats and a bulldog, everyone gets along well. Kids are intelligent and follow orders regarding the animals, and generally understand the WHY of things.

So after an amazingly long into, my name is Jessi and Buddy is our Yellow Nape Amazon. Nice to "meet" you all. :) 17966576_10154511236908339_1904186736137779273_o.jpg

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:hi::shakehands:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You are doing pretty well with Buddy, but I have a couple of comment to increase his safety. You should not feed parrots peanuts in any form. The shelled ones are a potential for Aspergillosis or Aflatoxins. Aspergillosis in Pet Birds: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment There are many good nuts out there, including pistachios (no salt), almonds, walnuts and pine nuts. Almonds are the lowest in fats and are high in calcium. Besides Amazons are prone to gaining too much weight and peanuts are super fatty.

Although, you may think your cats and dogs are well trained and won't bother Buddy, they are predators and he is prey. We have had the birds of many of our members killed by "trust worthy" pet dogs and cats. Pasturella is almost certainly a death sentence for a bird.
"Pasteurella bacteria is found in animals -- like cats or rats -- and they pass on the infection to the bird through biting. Some common bacterial infections in birds are avian tuberculosis (mycobacteriosis), psittacosis (chlamydiosis or parrot fever), and clostridial diseases." Bacterial Diseases in Birds | petMD

Congratulations on your new guy. I'll call some Amazon people to answer more of your questions.

@jmfleish @Peppo

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:welcome2: Enjoy your time here :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Buddy.

Hopefully, some of our 'zon people will be along to offer some advice for you. Like @Hankmacaw said, peanuts are not good for any bird...almonds really are a good alternative to try with him...:)

Jessi P

Thank you for the welcome!

I appreciate the tips on peanuts and pasturella very much. I am also disappointed to learn the $28 bag of "Parrot food" hubby brought home has such a high % of shelled peanuts (of course Buddy's favorite thing in the mix). Live and learn I suppose. I weeded today and Buddy enjoyed dandelion flowers and greens very much. Thoughts on switching him to a pelleted feed with fresh fruits veggies and greens? My online research so far touts pelleted feed, but I prefer to go by the experience of folks actually feeding and caring for these birds.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello::welave:
I hope your home works out for Buddy, and it sounds like you are doing well with him. I think a mix of pellets, seeds, and fresh foods are best, but I'm not sure of the correct ratios for amazons.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
BTW - a very big welcome to you and thank you very much for taking this guy in.

A pellet based diet would be by far the best. The best pellets IMO are Harrison's, Rowdybush and Zupreem naturals. About 50% pellets and the rest of his diet should be veggies and very little fruit - too much sugar in fruit. He may take some time to convert over, but it will be worth it for his health. Leafy green veggies (kale, Swiss Chard, mustard green. parsely type greens, spinach) and yellow, red and orange solid vegetables, like sweet potatoes, squash (both cooked), peppers, carrots and bell peppers. He can also have some grain like quinoa, macaroni and brown rice.

Sound complicated - but not after you get the swing of it and it will make a big difference in his long term health.

PS - You can pick the peanuts out of the food your husband bought him.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Welcome! My large parrots (macaws) do very well on Harrison's pellet formula. Both were switched over from a mostly peanut/jiffy bread diet with little trouble. I also make bird breads which are my birds favorite thing ever. Slightly warm and gooey you can't go wrong. :)
I also found almonds to temp even my hard to feed macaw. Sometimes I have to start cracking the shell first to get his attention but he always eats them.
Hopefully some Zon people will come along and have more specific advice.
Congrats on your new family member!

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:hello:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hello Jessi and Buddy. You sound like a busy lady. I know RN's work hard. I am a retired one. Buddy is in good hands. Nice photo of you both.

Jessi P

Thank you all. :) Hubby worked with Buddy a good bit while I was at work and reports it was a very good day. We have been feeding him the cut ends of the veggies that we eat ourselves for dinner as well as trimmings from the kitchen basil and parsley plants. A couple days ago hubby packed strawberries in my lunch and gave Buddy a couple strawberry trimmings. I do have some training and behavioral questions for another time and another thread in the appropriate forum, but it's late and I work 3 in a row. ;)

Since this is an intro thread I will post another pic or two. :)

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Buddy is handsome. Watch out with him perching on shoulders. Amazons can be sweet but can "turn" in one second and someone might find their ear pierced. I have a YNA. Her previous "human" was walking around with her on his shoulder and suddenly her beak was attached to his ear lobe. He was able to get her to release before his lobe was pierced but she did make a partial hole and he was in a lot of pain.