• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Introducing me and Popcorn and Rocket!

mizzmo22

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi! Popcorn is the cinnamon pied male. Rocket is the normal grey female.

Popcorn is 15 and has recently been diagnosed with cancer. His first symptom was a left leg limp that has progressed over the last 4 months to poor leg function. He can sit and crawl using his beak and surfaces to hang onto to get around if he wants to. He's happy as a clam, eats well, drinks lotsa water, still can fly, has no swellings so far. He looks and acts perfectly normal, but he cannot walk very well. He gets 1.5 mg/ml metacam pain prevention, but doesn't seem to be in pain right now. He calls to me when he wants help to get somewhere and I tell him "show mama" and he does. He's a very small cockatiel. I'm looking for a soft walking vest that I can suspend him with from a support to keep him upright so he can still preen himself and eat and drink water without losing his balance, tipping from side to side, falling forward on his beak, and accidentally bobbing into his downsized water container. He's so happy when he accomplishes doing something normal for himself... he shakes his tail, puffs all up, gives a great body shake and spreads his wings and flaps... starts mouthing off to Rocket... showoff!

Rocket sit with him, protects him and squawks like a siren if he gets "turtled" on his back. Rocket grew up with Popcorn... cage babies together. She's 15 as well. Popcorn and Rocket are not mates. They have a long rivalry. She was Popcorn's best friend's mate (Peanuts... a white-faced grey who passed on last summer and who was also Popcorn's unrequited love. Yep... true‍♀, well... now these 2 crabapple jealous rivals have become reluctant friends. Rocket is healthy but she knows Popcorn is in trouble and is a great comfort to him (they still grouse at each other and sneak an air-beaking stab at one another occasionally just so they don't forget they're friends-not-friends.

I'm 72, disabled, housebound with a brain injury but have come a long way. These 2 birds are my recovery companions and my friends. I want Popcorn to enjoy what life he has left instead of just laying on his belly because his balance is so ungainly unable.

I live in a very small town... no access to avian vet or pet stores that carry harnesses for birds. Any of the accessories here would be of help for my Popcorn?

Thanks, mizzmo

Attachments

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Welcome to the forum we are glad to have you, Popcorn, and Rocket! :welcomegroup:

You may find some useful post in the Special Needs Crossing. Things that may be helpful for Popcorn!
Special Needs Crossing

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
welcome to our flock !
Really glad you joined us!
I've found all here to have much humor and cheer! Lots of experience and knowledge to share.

Im sorry you have health struggles. And yes those birdies provide so much support and love!

Besides maybe trying cargo nets, and wider perches to balance on, I've not got much experience to add.

Love your cuties tho

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcometrain:Popcorn and Rocket sound very cute :heart:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Hi! Popcorn is the cinnamon pied male. Rocket is the normal grey female.

Popcorn is 15 and has recently been diagnosed with cancer. His first symptom was a left leg limp that has progressed over the last 4 months to poor leg function. He can sit and crawl using his beak and surfaces to hang onto to get around if he wants to. He's happy as a clam, eats well, drinks lotsa water, still can fly, has no swellings so far. He looks and acts perfectly normal, but he cannot walk very well. He gets 1.5 mg/ml metacam pain prevention, but doesn't seem to be in pain right now. He calls to me when he wants help to get somewhere and I tell him "show mama" and he does. He's a very small cockatiel. I'm looking for a soft walking vest that I can suspend him with from a support to keep him upright so he can still preen himself and eat and drink water without losing his balance, tipping from side to side, falling forward on his beak, and accidentally bobbing into his downsized water container. He's so happy when he accomplishes doing something normal for himself... he shakes his tail, puffs all up, gives a great body shake and spreads his wings and flaps... starts mouthing off to Rocket... showoff!

Rocket sit with him, protects him and squawks like a siren if he gets "turtled" on his back. Rocket grew up with Popcorn... cage babies together. She's 15 as well. Popcorn and Rocket are not mates. They have a long rivalry. She was Popcorn's best friend's mate (Peanuts... a white-faced grey who passed on last summer and who was also Popcorn's unrequited love. Yep... true‍♀, well... now these 2 crabapple jealous rivals have become reluctant friends. Rocket is healthy but she knows Popcorn is in trouble and is a great comfort to him (they still grouse at each other and sneak an air-beaking stab at one another occasionally just so they don't forget they're friends-not-friends.

I'm 72, disabled, housebound with a brain injury but have come a long way. These 2 birds are my recovery companions and my friends. I want Popcorn to enjoy what life he has left instead of just laying on his belly because his balance is so ungainly unable.

I live in a very small town... no access to avian vet or pet stores that carry harnesses for birds. Any of the accessories here would be of help for my Popcorn?

Thanks, mizzmo

Welcome to AA, I'm sorry to hear of you and your flock's challenges!
I can't really picture how you are describing using it but if you google
"bird diaper for cockatiels" and "flight harness for cockatiels"
you will see examples of two different products and links where to buy them.
Realize it may take some time and work to acclimate Popcorn to either.
I would also recommend a platform perch, which would be much wider and safer if his feet aren't able to grip a regular perch.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@mizzmo22
a P.S. to my post above:
I just keep wondering about your description of using these.....can you describe it more?
I ask because I can interpret it like suspending him like Tinkerbell in a PeterPan stage play.
I am worried that this arrangement would put too much pressure on his chest.
Birds need to use their muscles to expand their chest in order to draw in breath.
I worry that having their weight resting on their chest plus decreased internal room due to a tumour that he could suffocate..
Please proceed cautiously with any harnesses/vests!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! :)

Very sorry to hear of Popcorns diagnosis, but nice that he has you taking excellent care of him.

I´m also curious about the idea you have, like Debbie said above, the pressure on the chest is worrying, but also, I would worry about risk of getting tangles in the lines.

I second platform perches as a nice perch, you could even line it with non pilling fleece to make it softer. And I would also line the cage floor with it too to save him from any rough falls.

I understand your concerns over the water bowl, so I recommend a water silo, can usually get them pretty cheap at pet supply stores, and as much as folks moan about the bacteria on plastic bowls/feeders etc, I think the risk of drowning outweighs that.

@sunnysmom

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign: