• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing Jewel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlday13

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tracy
Thanks! Well, she's definitely warmed up to me. Is very leery of hubby and the kids... but there has already even been some slight improvement towards the kids... She used to squawk real loudly at my son and growl... now she only sometimes growls real low at him. Since he's mildly autistic, I supervise him like a hawk...so I caution him "move slow around Jewel, talk softly to her... tell her 'I want to be your friend... don't touch her.. you can whistle to her.." things like that. He's a pretty obedient boy. My little girl is intrigued by her, but a little afraid too (which given she's fearless... tha'ts not necessarily a bad thing!)

I wish I could get a picture of it, but I'm now permitted to do neck scritches and cuddles.. she loves having her head rubbed..and when I preened her neck with my fingernails, she inclined her head forward and let out a soft "ooooooh". Too cute!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Thanks! Well, she's definitely warmed up to me. Is very leery of hubby and the kids... but there has already even been some slight improvement towards the kids... She used to squawk real loudly at my son and growl... now she only sometimes growls real low at him. Since he's mildly autistic, I supervise him like a hawk...so I caution him "move slow around Jewel, talk softly to her... tell her 'I want to be your friend... don't touch her.. you can whistle to her.." things like that. He's a pretty obedient boy. My little girl is intrigued by her, but a little afraid too (which given she's fearless... tha'ts not necessarily a bad thing!)

I wish I could get a picture of it, but I'm now permitted to do neck scritches and cuddles.. she loves having her head rubbed..and when I preened her neck with my fingernails, she inclined her head forward and let out a soft "ooooooh". Too cute!
I'm so glad to hear there's been improvement!! :hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Well I've decided to let Jewel sleep in her big cage covered at night for now, because clearly she feels secure there. She doesn't yet trust us enough to step up and I don't want to force her. Not when everyone is usually in bed by 9 or so (well, except me, but I play on the computer in the basement)... so we cover her cage and turn off all the lights so she gets her beauty sleep.

Guess who let me stick my pointer finger in thru the bars and give her a very brief scritch on the head? (before I had to go to work)

She was at the food bowl, but she saw what I was doing and clearly tilted her head toward me so I could. It was quick and very brief, but she let me do it! I praised her and said what a beautiful and good girl she was, and how I only wanted to be her friend and love her.

Tracy
foster mom to Jewel (3yr old CAG)
Congratulations. Jewel is really pretty:) I think you are doing the right thing by respecting her boundaries and not pushing her. She will let you know when she is ready for the next step:)

Vicki

tlday13

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tracy

Wet birdie! (Picture taken this morning after making use of the shower perch and getting her drippy-wet!) She seemed to like the warm water.

Tracy

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Aww, she is so pretty.

You are doing great with her, it takes SO long for birds to warm up after being moved around. She has emotional issues, it will take some time. But she WILL come around and love you so much. Every little step will be well worth the time it took to get there.
Have you tried spoon feeding her some warm foods? It can be a way of bonding.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Wow Tracy, Jewel is already showing a lot of potential because of your gentle TLC. That is awesome! :highfive:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
What a beautiful Grey and she is so lucky to have found such a caring new owner. You will never be sorry that you have taken this step to look after Jewel, she will pay you back tenfold in laughter and happy moments.
Would her state of undress help by having some red palm oil added to her diet? She might possibly benefit from it, like mine did.
Giving her all the love she needs and seeing to her regular routine will soon settle her into her new home with you. good luck.:hug8:

tlday13

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tracy
Aww, she is so pretty.

You are doing great with her, it takes SO long for birds to warm up after being moved around. She has emotional issues, it will take some time. But she WILL come around and love you so much. Every little step will be well worth the time it took to get there.
Have you tried spoon feeding her some warm foods? It can be a way of bonding.
Since she just came to us on 10/17 (and it feels like she's been in the family forever, really)... I think she's done quite well..and us too. The kids are learning how to move gentle around her and whistle to her (well, the 8yr old can..the 3.5yr old just says "Hi Jewel")...

I did try some oatmeal once, but she didn't want much to do with that. I had better luck with some applesauce. Next time I might make a warm applesauce and oatmeal mixture and try it.

We were on the couch earlier and I was scritching her..and at one point I stopped and she butted her head against my hand like my cats do when they want me to keep petting. I had to LOL. I haven't heard her talk (and dont' care if she ever does) -- but she sure does get her point across!

Tracy

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Greys are the most intelligent birds and once the honeymoon period is over she is going to push the bounderies like a 2-3yr old would to see how far she can go! Look on that as progress and you will go far together. good luck.

tlday13

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tracy
Would her state of undress help by having some red palm oil added to her diet? She might possibly benefit from it, like mine did.
I would like to add some red palm to her diet..and maybe some rescue remedy to her water... I also want to get a full spectrum light to have near her cage.

She really is a sweetie. I can just see the intelligence shining out of her eyes.

Tracy

tlday13

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tracy
Greys are the most intelligent birds and once the honeymoon period is over she is going to push the bounderies like a 2-3yr old would to see how far she can go! Look on that as progress and you will go far together. good luck.
Thanks! yeah, I'm sure she's gonna do that eventually.. lol..and I'll know she feels comfortable enough to do that.

T

TinaM

What a beautiful girl! I love her creatively preened feather fashion!

tlday13

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tracy
Well, we tried a little bit of red palm oil last night (like 1/4 teaspoon, mixed with a little bit of the applesauce I know she loves... I think she would have eaten it straight off the spoon just fine. Her eyes lit up and flashed as she ate it.

I've also noticed that she is a bit more vocal (in a happy way) after the drippy showers. She wolf whistles and does other happy whistles too.

I still need to try and get hubby to help take a picture of birdie scritching bliss.. I can't take a picture onehanded.. well, I could try, but it probably wouldn't be a very good one. :hehe:

Tracy

trout

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bobby
She is very pretty. That's great that she's taking to the oil, can't wait to see the scritching pictures. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.