• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing birds!

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
I have a one and half year old GCC, Kiwi, and I got another one who I've named Goose not too long ago. We're not sure exactly how old he is but he's definitely younger than one. I introduced them to each other for the first time yesterday, and at first they were kinda just staring at each other. Goose seemed very interested in Kiwi, but Kiwi seemed kinda hesitant. Goose made his way over to Kiwi and Kiwi let him, but then Goose kinda grabbed her beak with his beak? She didn't act like it hurt just like it startled her. Ever since then she's kinda avoided him. She doesn't seem stressed or scared, more like she doesn't want this kid getting up in her personal space. Was this a sign of aggression or just something birds do? They're sharing a play cage rn and everything seems fine, but I don't want to leave them in the same cage together while I go to work if Goose was showing aggresive tendencies towards her.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@webchirp will be able to assist she has a few conures.

How long have you had Goose and have the spent much time together in there own cages to get to know each other before being put together ?
Grabbing a beak can very well be aggressive behaviour, personally i wouldnt be leaving them in the same cage together if your not about.

I have just bought my second conure interaction at the moment is flock calling from different rooms to each other.
My next step after a period of qt will be both cages in the same room with both birds getting seperate time out of their cages together before being allowed out together to meet each other.
I will be there to intervene if need be but allowing them out together will mean much more space if one bird feels the need to keep away from the other.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Sometimes they don't understand boundaries or personal space of other birds. Maks does this but he can be even more forceful. Maks really, really likes Zia but she can only tolerate so much and on occasions, not every day. I think Kiwi may feel Goose is annoying and is just keeping the distance.

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! I did read these, but forgot to reply lol. What I did was I quarantined Goose for about a month, and then I introduced them to each other just on my bed since I figured it would be neutral territory. That was when the beak grabbing incident happened lol. I did allow them to go into the play cage together and it's been a couple days of that and they haven't had any problems. Kiwi kinda acts like the typical big sister where she'll prene him and snuggle him at night, but she gets annoyed with him always wanting to be up her tail, and has to let him know every now and then that he's doing too much and she needs some space. All in all, they're getting along better than I could've hoped. Thanks again guys!!

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I seem to be reading this alot on AA, there is always the bird that's interested and perky, and the other bird that is startled! :roflmao: