• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing another lovebird

babybagel

Sitting on the front steps
I have a very affectionate lovebird. Recently he has been displaying tail rubbing, regurgitating, etc., so I decided to get him a female companion. However, I am worried that if I do this, he will no longer be attached to me. If you have 2 lovebirds, could you tell me how they are with you? Thank you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a very affectionate lovebird.
If you have a good relationship, keep interacting with him, and it´s unlikely to change too drastically.

From my own experience, my super ¨tame¨ Jaime hooked up with the little more ¨wild¨ Aldora. He stayed the same. It helps her gain a little confidence around me as she will follow him to my hand etc :)
They are a true bonded pair, and my relationship with Jaime never changed at all. I like to back off and let him do his bird thing, but he does seek me out to interact with me.

edit; I forgot to add my second experience, my eldest, Sydney, hooked up with his girlfriend (Jaime and Aldoras daughter, Adélie), and he also stayed the same, as did she. I had very close relationships with both of those birds, both super tame, and both exactly the same now as a bonded pair as they were as singles.

Maybe others will have had different experiences, but those are how mine went :)
A good tip is to use the quarantine period to build as much trust as you can with the new bird, take advantage of the time alone together.

Last edited:

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I do not have any lovebirds, or even any affectionate birds LOL, but I just wanted to say the bird in your profile pic is freaking gorgeous. That is my favorite color and I didn't know lovebirds came in that shade!

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
although i didn’t get a second lovebird, my first lovebird and my green cheek ended up bonding to each other (preening, regurgitation, etc.) and my relationship with my lovebird did not change. he is still affectionate and loves hanging out with me. i think it just depends on your specific birds!

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Yep! I tend to get my lovebirds in pairs while they are babies, and all the ones who have been tamed stay tamed. Even when I introduce my lovies into the communal aviary (well, now it's a bit empty, but this is from past experience) they would all still be tame. However, in the aviary setting even a pair of babies who were raised together would separate sometimes and pick new mates! I'm sure that if you keep up your relationship with your bird, and keep on spending time with him, he will stay tame. Another bird will not necessarily ruin or even really affect your relationship!

babybagel

Sitting on the front steps
Thanks everyone. Looking forward to hearing from others!