• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing Amazon To Another Parrot?

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Hi there!

I've heard a lot of people with birds say that if you get an amazon you can't get another bird. Is it true? If you did get another bird, how would you do it with an amazon?

Thank you, Adriana R.

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
Hi there!

I've heard a lot of people with birds say that if you get an amazon you can't get another bird. Is it true? If you did get another bird, how would you do it with an amazon?

Thank you, Adriana R.
I think that's stereotypical. Some bird never bond and some will bond. If they don't bond you can have a room separater or a different bird room or separate out of cage time. Remember this is after the long process of quarantine. Then you start introducing them, but like I said it may not work out and you'll have to do it slowly and safely. @Love My Zons @macawpower58 @Anita1250

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
I think that's stereotypical. Some bird never bond and some will bond. If they don't bond you can have a room separater or a different bird room or separate out of cage time. Remember this is after the long process of quarantine. Then you start introducing them, but like I said it may not work out and you'll have to do it slowly and safely. @Love My Zons @macawpower58 @Anita1250
I was thinking that as well. And even if they didn't get along, you could just keep them separated or supervise them.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Uhm... I've never heard that
What does an Amazon do that makes having other birds dangerous?
My Goffin and Mealy live in the same room.
They've grown up together for 21 years, are not bonded, yet can peacefully coexists.
They have their own cages, and plenty of perch/stands to move about on.
If you have birds of similar size, or similar temperaments, they can live near each other.
Safety is in you knowing your birds.
Always supervise, never allow unbonded birds out together if you're not there.
But just being an Amazon? That part is new to me...

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I had 2 Amazons that lived in the same house for years before I got them. Mine weren't flighted and I never put them on the same stand. They could have hurt each other in a split second and it wasn't worth it to me.

Of course, I don't have dogs or cats either. Not worth the stress to the birds.

Aves

I had 2 Amazons that lived in the same house for years before I got them. Mine weren't flighted and I never put them on the same stand. They could have hurt each other in a split second and it wasn't worth it to me.

Of course, I don't have dogs or cats either. Not worth the stress to the birds.
Somehow I forgot you had Amazons! :facepalm:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Somehow I forgot you had Amazons! :facepalm:
Just one now. MC passed away from cancer.

Amazons get a bad rap. Blue fronts and males? ALWAYS get a bad rap. Wild caught? Oh the horror! People are missing out on fabulous critters because they don't try.

As much as I would love to have had those two side by side, the fear factor of how little blood is in a bird..... just not worth an injury.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That bird you found is one of the Hot Three Amazons. They are called the hot three for a very good reason.
I recommend that you read this thread.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can get another bird, you just can't assume they will get along and want to be friends. Or even that they will be civil around each other. I have some amazons that are just flat out dangerous toward other birds. I also have some that would rather fly away than get into trouble. With the more aggressive and reactive birds, you have to be willing to only have them out when other birds are not around. I think most birds like having other birds in the same room with them when they are caged. Especially if their owner works away from home. But once out of the cage, some amazons will try to expand their "territory" by flying over to another bird cage and trying to bite the occupant when they come up to investigate. Or if they are all out, an amazon might not fly over to another bird specifically intending on starting a fight, but if the other bird gets within range and fails to get out of the way fast enough, there could be blood. It just depends on the bird. This is true with any species though. I have two cockatoos and I'm careful letting them out at the same time since there is a size difference between them. My first amazon was rehomed because they were hoping she'd provide some companionship to their plucking african grey. It turned out the grey was afraid of her and she just wanted to harass him. One of the first days she was here, she flew up to my quaker cage, grabbed him by the neck and thankfully just got feathers that got pulled out when he broke away and hit the floor. She could have killed him. Needless to say, I never had the quaker and her out at the same time and always put a cover over the quaker cage if I had her out just to give myself more time to get there.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
My girl Lucy is a yellow naped amazon and a couple years ago we took in a friends orange wing amazon, Miss Birdy.
I think Miss Birdy wants to be friends but Lucy isnt having it. They have cages in the same room and both are flighted and are allowed out at the same time, but we are always
in the room with them. Thankfuly neither attacks or flies at the other. On another note, with 2 amazons doing their evening calls and sounds it can be a bit nerve racking sometimes lol

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
On another note, with 2 amazons doing their evening calls and sounds it can be a bit nerve racking sometimes lol
I so miss that. MC and Secret had an opera going. One would stop and the other would take the note and go with it. I can't listen to the video because I know it would hurt Secret.

BirdView

Strolling the yard
One of the first days she was here, she flew up to my quaker cage, grabbed him by the neck and thankfully just got feathers that got pulled out when he broke away and hit the floor. She could have killed him. Needless to say, I never had the quaker and her out at the same time and always put a cover over the quaker cage if I had her out just to give myself more time to get there.
This would be my nightmare scenario. My DHY is the biggest bird I have and should be on the top of the food chain. However I have a green cheek conure with a fearless personality who is not afraid of the amazon. She charged at him multiple times and was able chase him away when he tried to move close. So far the amazon is scared of the GCC who is much smaller than him but I am afraid one day he will realize his true strength and attack the GCC when she is not suspecting. I would not be worried if she flies away because she is much faster and far more agile than him however she always stands up and wants to fight back.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This would be my nightmare scenario.
In my experience with birds, if something bad has the opportunity to happen, it will eventually happen. You are seeing early warnings in your bird's behavior. Personally, I'd take steps now to put them in separate rooms when either of them is out of the cage. A mature amazon in the grip of hormones or stimulation overload is a much different bird and may not back down to things they would otherwise fear.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My OWA Inca is a new boy joining the flock... he's inseparable from the budgies, we can't move his cage from the budgie area( it results various scream and growl sessions)... So, all the boys are having fun without bothering me, honestly, I am the lonely girl here... Lol

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Just make sure none can fly or get to the others cages. There are a LOT of horror stories on here about bites to toes. Birds do not have much blood in them either.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have a DYA who's 25. I also have 4 macaws from 4-20 in age. I can't get her out with other birds: she'll attack them like a harpy eagle. I realized having her out with other birds was a no-go when she tackled my capri in midair. As I type this, she's sitting on her Wingdow, watching the world go by, while the macaw crew are in their cages in the bird room.