• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing a new bird to a quaker parrot

ticoquaker

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! I currently have a one-year old quaker parrot (and no other pets) whom I love dearly. His name is Tico :) I was thinking about getting a Golden Conure at some point in the future (maybe in the next year or two), but I was wondering if anyone has experience introducing a golden conure (or any other bird) to a quaker parrot that they've had for a little while. Can quaker parrots adapt to having another bird in the home? I would love to hear about your experiences with this. I wouldn't want to stress Tico out, so if it's not something he would ever be able to get used to, I'd probably just keep him as an only bird. Thank you in advance!!

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
A little over 5 years ago, I adopted a CAG. My QP Ralph had already been here for 6 years at that time, and had been an only parrot. During the quarantine period, Scooter the CAG and Ralph could see each other-- and hear each other-- from a distance; eventually Scooter's cage was moved next to Ralph's in the living room. Ralph was curious about the newcomer, but mostly went about his normal routnes as though Scooter wasn't there. And that's pretty much how it goes now. Scooter, though, has always been fascinted by Ralph and watches him and talks to him quite a lot. I think Ralph is teaching her how to be a parrot. :) They get separate out-of-cage time and individual one-on-one time, so there aren't any signs of jealousy. I always follow "first parrot" protocol so Ralph gets greeted first in the morning, gets food and treats first, but is last to go to bed at night. Our experiences aren't necessarily typical and it's hard to predict just how it would go with any two parrots sharing the same home.

ticoquaker

Checking out the neighborhood
A little over 5 years ago, I adopted a CAG. My QP Ralph had already been here for 6 years at that time, and had been an only parrot. During the quarantine period, Scooter the CAG and Ralph could see each other-- and hear each other-- from a distance; eventually Scooter's cage was moved next to Ralph's in the living room. Ralph was curious about the newcomer, but mostly went about his normal routnes as though Scooter wasn't there. And that's pretty much how it goes now. Scooter, though, has always been fascinted by Ralph and watches him and talks to him quite a lot. I think Ralph is teaching her how to be a parrot. :) They get separate out-of-cage time and individual one-on-one time, so there aren't any signs of jealousy. I always follow "first parrot" protocol so Ralph gets greeted first in the morning, gets food and treats first, but is last to go to bed at night. Our experiences aren't necessarily typical and it's hard to predict just how it would go with any two parrots sharing the same home.
Thank you for your response! This is really helpful information. Good to know that it might be possible if I'm careful about how I approach it and follow steps like these. Thank you!

Aksarben

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vernon
As I understand from reading, and, for the record I do not own a Quaker, but the Quaker can be very territorial. So territorial I have read of a Quaker flying down stairs and biting the toe off another parrot (different breed) so just sharing what I read.

JMC822

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
My Quaker was 13 months when I adopted this 14-month-old Sun Conure. They have been housed together for 17 years now. The Quaker is definitely the boss, but they generally get along well.

They have been in separate cages for the past week because the Quaker had her wing amputated due to a large tumor but during the day when I am around, I open both cage doors and let them hang out.

One thing I will note. They are close in age and they are both females. I heard two females or a male and a female are more likely to get along than two males.

273153761_10159677283076624_4158567984864582970_n.jpg