• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introduced new bird without Quarantine

Herbys

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey,

As the title says, I (stupidly) brought a new bird (IRN) into my home and placed the cage into the same room as my current bird (budgie). I was naive to the fact that you had to quarantine birds before introducing and it’s now been >24hrs since I got him.

The person I got the bird from has had him for a couple months and he’s now 6 months old. When viewing he seemed healthy and happy and I was assured the bird has been healthy and displayed no sign of sickness or illness the whole time he was in his possession. The bird is active and acting normal, steps up and is hand tame, enjoys his toys and climbing around. Poops are all normal, but I know birds can hide sickness well.

I wish I could turn back time and redo the process but it is too late now they arE in the same room. I also have a two rabbits that free roam our house but I have not allowed them into the room the birds are in since the new bird arrived.

I am asking for some advice at this point as I am panicking a little and ovrethinking everything.

Thanks,

Tony

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I wish I could turn back time and redo the process but it is too late now they arE in the same room.
It's not too late to separate them.

It isn't a case of, "well, if anything bad is going to happen it would have already happened".

Tapew0rrm

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Camille
Fully backing both ideas of quarantining now if you haven't already and arranging a vet visit for both birds, IMO you should get new birds checked by a vet as soon as possible when you get them, past owners could always be lying about their health and it is just safer in general.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Hope everything works out okay with this! I pretty much did the same, and I was VERY fortunate! (too short of a quarantine here)

Herbys

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you all for your replies - I have nowhere to quarantine the bird in a separate room and I cherish my current bird too much to do a single room quarantine. I have made the decision to return the bird back to the previous owner. I have got my current bird booked into the vets for early next week. Lost out on some money but I’d rather lose money then risk my bird.

What should I look out for in terms of noticing illness? My current boy Merbs is a Budgie. They had no contact, the new bird did for a minute or so land on my merbies cage but no poop was done and they did not interact at all. Not sure if that will be a problem but I’m a bit of a hypochondriac for both my own health and the health of my animals.