• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Interesting Encounter by my Co-Worker

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
A funny story, I think anyways!

My Co-worker has Chickens that she adores and they are her family, truly. She had a hawk get one of her favorites and continuing to show up for easy meals, so she caught the hawk (don't worry, hawk was fine!) to kind of give it a stern talk (and handle it making it scared and intimidated which is what she wanted). She also said before she got to the hawk while it was caught, some of the roosters had beat it up a little (poor thing).

Anyways, she let it go and it hasn't shown up again. Guess her scare tactic work and I bet that hawk doesn't have chicken on it's menu anymore!

I was just thinking how funny the scene looked in my head of my older lady co worker giving a stern talk to to this hawk that isn't welcome around there.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I understand her concern for her chickens, but it’s pretty awful not to mention illegal (a federal offense) to catch a hawk.

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
I understand her concern for her chickens, but it’s pretty awful not to mention illegal (a federal offense) to catch a hawk.
I wouldn't have done it but understand her intent. It definitely got the hawk away from her property, so her chickens are safer than before by one predator.

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
How on earth did she manage to catch the hawk?

I'm not on board with the roosters part.
( I would've just stayed somwhere near to show the hawk they're under my wing )

...But otherwise a sound tactic. I have bird feeders in my garden, so a pair of buzzards choose to make it their prime hunting ground. To my great horor I watched one hunt down a small robin, scurrying through the trees nearby. After that whenever I would see the pair atop a tall dried tree trunk ( some 50m away) I would run directly at them, screaming like a mad person... Took only a couple of times to scare them away for good.
(But I also believe they figured out I'm not at home when there's no car.. And mybe still hunt here anyway.
Also, I DON'T REALLY MIND wildlife doing their thing, just hurts my heart each time I see a litle birdy get eaten)...

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
How on earth did she manage to catch the hawk?

I'm not on board with the roosters part.
( I would've just stayed somwhere near to show the hawk they're under my wing )

...But otherwise a sound tactic. I have bird feeders in my garden, so a pair of buzzards choose to make it their prime hunting ground. To my great horor I watched one hunt down a small robin, scurrying through the trees nearby. After that whenever I would see the pair atop a tall dried tree trunk ( some 50m away) I would run directly at them, screaming like a mad person... Took only a couple of times to scare them away for good.
(But I also believe they figured out I'm not at home when there's no car.. And mybe still hunt here anyway.
Also, I DON'T REALLY MIND wildlife doing their thing, just hurts my heart each time I see a litle birdy get eaten)...
I am not sure. Maybe some bird netting? She didnt want her roosters to beat on it, they just got to the hawk first and they wanted to protect their ladies.

It was evidently really impactful! Hopefully he found a better hunting ground.

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
I am not sure. Maybe some bird netting? She didnt want her roosters to beat on it, they just got to the hawk first and they wanted to protect their ladies.

It was evidently really impactful! Hopefully he found a better hunting ground.
One time learning event !
I'm sure he found better ground.