• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Interested in IRN

mfrahm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariah
Hello all! new member here :)

I had cockatiels when I was younger and always loved having birds. I have been doing research and have come to a soft decision on an Indian Ringneck. My question is: I have 3 small dogs & 3 cats, how do you go about making sure your birds are safe? Do you introduce your birds to your dogs? Just curious what your personal experiences are with that. Also, if you have some links to reputable breeders that would be awesome. We have one local store here that sells birds (not a breeder) but they charge absolutely outrageous prices for all of their birds. Almost double what I see for hand-fed babies online. I am located in Nebraska if that helps any.

Thanks!!!
Mariah

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
Welcome! Don't ever introduce a bird to dogs or cats, as many horrifying accidents happen that way. Before you go straight to asking for a breeder, have you considered adopting? I looked up and there is a Nebraska parrot rescue.

mfrahm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariah
Welcome! Don't ever introduce a bird to dogs or cats, as many horrifying accidents happen that way. Before you go straight to asking for a breeder, have you considered adopting? I looked up and there is a Nebraska parrot rescue.
I figured as much, I don’t ever let my dogs interact with my reptiles or rats but they are in a separate room so it is easier. I’m just thinking when they are around the cage or if the bird is out for playtime how you guys handle having dogs in the house as well as birds. I want to make sure the bird is as safe as possible before I would even bring one home!

and yes, I’d be more than willing to rescue! I don’t have a ton of experience with birds that have trauma in their past but I’d be willing to give it a shot. I’ll check them out.

mfrahm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariah
Looks like their website isn’t renewed and they haven’t updated their Facebook page since 2018 so I’m guessing they are no longer in business. Bummer ☹

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
:welcome:
Welcome to the Avenue!
Just out of curiosity, what are your local critter stores charging for their IRNs? The average ringneck parakeet can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to two thousand or more. Sometimes pricing depends on the breeder's experience, how common the birds are near you, and/or the color. There are plenty of IRN breeders in Illinois, if that isn't too far for you. I've heard great things about Alexandrine Aviary, Parrot Stars, and Birdman's Parrots. JC Aviary breeds ringneck parrots too and have a variety of color mutations.
As for other pets, it really depends on your cats and dogs. One of my dogs could care less, while the other goes wild when the birds fly. I'd be careful with cats in general though--Besides the obvious dangers, their saliva is loaded with bacteria that are toxic to birds. Your best bet is to keep your birdie in a separate room and/or have the dogs and cats in a separate area when the parrot is out and about if possible.
Good luck in your quest for a feathered friend! :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! As I assume that you are looking for a local breeder, not having a bird shipped, I am not sure of a breeder to recommend.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hi there, I cannot give any breeder information. I do not know of any IRN breeders. You can join a local bird club, look around online, or visit some reputable pet stores that may help guide you.

As for dogs, I have always had dogs and birds. Somehow, most large birds are totally intimidating to dogs and cats. I have 5 dogs now, 2 recently inherited. One an 80 lb Shepherd. In our case, even the new dogs ignore the birds. In an odd way, I can tell you that dogs can and do learn that birds are a part of the pack, part of the Family. Even knowing all of my dogs and as many years as all have been around each other, it's something you never let your guard down and diligently ensure everyone's safety. All the time!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Our dogs are taught to steer clear of the birds, sometimes harshly at first, but we'd rather have hurt feelings than hurt critters. Bites go both ways!

The dogs are usually in the same room with me when they're not eating or running through the house playing and the birds stay on their cages or playstands unless they're on us. But we are lucky that our birds stay away from the dogs.

:bored: Lately, our macaw has begun climbing to the floor and walking over to us when he wants our attention and it terrifies me! I hate to think what could happen with him on the ground. :depressed: So my solution has been to roll his playstand so he can see me wherever I am or to lock him in his cage if I can't keep an eye on him to be sure of his whereabouts, he gets lured into his cage with a treat and gets a toy to keep him busy. :yes1:

Having seen our big, slow Dane mix try to jump up and snap at one of our green cheeks when he got startled and flew across the room past her, we realize that no matter how calm they are or how well trained, it is still instinctual in them and you can't be mad at them for working as designed.

As for cats, hubby and I draw the line at cats indoors. As dangerous as even their saliva us to birds, it's not worth it to us. Your cats were there first in your case, so that's hard. Could your birds be in another room like your other pets?

Last edited:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the Avenue! :meet:

I have zero tolerance for mixing predator and prey animals and am very strict about keeping my cat in an entirely different room from the birds at all times - even when they're in their cages. As far as my birds are aware, the cat doesn't even exist. I wash my hands thoroughly every time I pet him and before I handle any bird. I'd do the same with a dog.

mfrahm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariah
:welcome:
Welcome to the Avenue!
Just out of curiosity, what are your local critter stores charging for their IRNs? The average ringneck parakeet can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to two thousand or more. Sometimes pricing depends on the breeder's experience, how common the birds are near you, and/or the color. There are plenty of IRN breeders in Illinois, if that isn't too far for you. I've heard great things about Alexandrine Aviary, Parrot Stars, and Birdman's Parrots. JC Aviary breeds ringneck parrots too and have a variety of color mutations.
As for other pets, it really depends on your cats and dogs. One of my dogs could care less, while the other goes wild when the birds fly. I'd be careful with cats in general though--Besides the obvious dangers, their saliva is loaded with bacteria that are toxic to birds. Your best bet is to keep your birdie in a separate room and/or have the dogs and cats in a separate area when the parrot is out and about if possible.
Good luck in your quest for a feathered friend! :)
The local store here is charging $1700 for a green IRN and the price is over $2000 for any other color. I think the cheapest bird you can buy there is a normal cockatiel and they are still charging $499 for those. It's a bit steep and they have a reputation for not treating the animals very well. It's under new management now so things are looking better in there but still not the greatest. Most of the puppies in there still likely come from puppy mills :(

I'm not too worried about 2 of my cats since they are old & fat & could care less. The other one is still a kitten and she's a pain in the bum, even with only 3 legs. The dogs bark a lot so I'm hoping the bird would get used to that noise. They are also a bunch of wusses so they probably would be scared of the bird, especially if it is of a decent size. I think they would go nuts if the bird was flying tho so I'll have to be careful with them if I have the bird out of the cage. I'm just a super planner and a knowledge vacuum so I love to understand everything and figure out the best ways to do things and keep everyone safe before I make any decisions!

mfrahm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariah
Welcome! As I assume that you are looking for a local breeder, not having a bird shipped, I am not sure of a breeder to recommend.
I've had reptiles shipped to me before but never a bird. I would be willing to have a bird shipped if it is from a reputable breeder who knows what they are doing with shipping!

Thanks!

mfrahm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariah
Our dogs are taught to steer clear of the birds, sometimes harshly at first, but we'd rather have hurt feelings than hurt critters. Bites go both ways!

The dogs are usually in the same room with me when they're not eating or running through the house playing and the birds stay on their cages or playstands unless they're on us. But we are lucky that our birds stay away from the dogs.

:bored: Lately, our macaw has begun climbing to the floor and walking over to us when he wants our attention and it terrifies me! I hate to think what could happen with him on the ground. :depressed: So my solution has been to roll his playstand so he can see me wherever I am or to lock him in his cage if I can't keep an eye on him to be sure of his whereabouts, he gets lured into his cage with a treat and gets a toy to keep him busy. :yes1:

Having seen our big, slow Dane mix try to jump up and snap at one of our green cheeks when he got startled and flew across the room past her, we realize that no matter how calm they are or how well trained, it is still instinctual in them and you can't be mad at them for working as designed.

As for cats, hubby and I draw the line at cats indoors. As dangerous as even their saliva us to birds, it's not worth it to us. Your cats were there first in your case, so that's hard. Could your birds be in another room like your other pets?
I have one of my spare bedrooms in the house turned into a "pet room" of sorts to house all of our reptiles, amphibians, rats, and hedgies since we keep them at a warmer temp and also don't want the dogs/cats bothering them. I always figured a bird needed to be out where the action is and not shut in a room though since they are so social and smart and need to know what is going on at all times. I might try putting a cage in an alcove off our kitchen (we don't use any teflon or things that are harmful to birds) and then putting up a big gate across the alcove area. That would keep 2 dogs & 2 cats out. Then I just have to worry about the remaining dog & cat and see if I can put the fear of god into them to leave the bird/bird cage alone!

And that is what I worry about the most, I feel like they would flip out if the bird took off flying. They are all small dogs (2 poms and a yorkie/chihuahua mix) so they can't jump super high and one doesn't even jump at all (bad knees). 2 of the cats are old and fat and wouldn't jump but it's going to take a lot of work with our wild 3 legged kitten to keep her from the bird. Good thing is that she is always in a separate room (basement) behind a closed door when we are out or at work so I wouldn't have to worry about it then, just when I am home.

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
The local store here is charging $1700 for a green IRN and the price is over $2000 for any other color. I think the cheapest bird you can buy there is a normal cockatiel and they are still charging $499 for those. It's a bit steep and they have a reputation for not treating the animals very well. It's under new management now so things are looking better in there but still not the greatest. Most of the puppies in there still likely come from puppy mills :(

I'm not too worried about 2 of my cats since they are old & fat & could care less. The other one is still a kitten and she's a pain in the bum, even with only 3 legs. The dogs bark a lot so I'm hoping the bird would get used to that noise. They are also a bunch of wusses so they probably would be scared of the bird, especially if it is of a decent size. I think they would go nuts if the bird was flying tho so I'll have to be careful with them if I have the bird out of the cage. I'm just a super planner and a knowledge vacuum so I love to understand everything and figure out the best ways to do things and keep everyone safe before I make any decisions!
I have nothing to say except for, :bighug:

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Welcome!

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
:welave: