• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Interested in a lesser sulphur crested cockatoo

Adrie

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I am new to the forum. I have an eclectus parrot who is almost 2 yrs old. I was going to adopt a 19 yr old Eleonora Sulphur Crested cockatoo that I fell in love with and the day I went to go get him someone else took him that same day and I was so crushed. Now I am considering a 5 month old male Lesser Sulphur Crested Cockatoo I found. He has been hand raised and he seems amazingly sweet and calm. His temperament is so charming. I have visited him 4 times now for hours at a time. I have been trying to research this species and heard so many horror stories about cockatoos in general - particularly umbrellas. Is everyone's cockatoo that bad?? Has anyone out there had a good experience with the Sulphur Cresteds? I'm worried that he may later become a monster like everyone else's on YouTube. But it is hard to imagine that because he is so consistently sweet. Is there another species I should consider? I also love the Queen of Bavaria golden conures and Jardines but they are hard to find. I would love to know everyone's thoughts

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
As your current bird is an eclectus, I'd strongly advise against a cockatoo or a Jardines, as they are both old-world parrots and therefore "dusty." (A shorthand term for birds with a special kind of feather called "powder down." Powder down feathers crumble into dust that is harmful - potentially deadly - to the respiratory system of non-dusty species).

This article has a pretty good summary of the issue and makes specific mention of how eclectus parrots fit into the picture, as they're a bit of an outlier.

Of the species you've listed, the conure is the only safe option.

Last edited:

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
As your current bird is an eclectus, I'd strongly advise against a cockatoo or a Jardines, as they are both old-world parrots and therefore "dusty"
Just to clarrify, not all Old World birds are powder down birds. Cockatoos, cockatiels, and african greys all produce powder down and they are very dusty. So far as I am aware, Jardines are NOT powder down birds, even though they are native to Africa ("Old World"). There may be other reasons to not keep them with an Electus, but dust is not a significant factor.

Unfortunarely, dust is a very real concern when keeping cockatoos. The fine dust can cause serious respiratory disease in parrots ... and even people. Be sure to research this issue carefully before considering a cockatoo, especially if you already have other parrots.

Adrie

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you both for your insight, I hadn't really considered that :ekkiem:

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Just to clarify, not all Old World birds are powder down birds. Cockatoos, cockatiels, and african greys all produce powder down and they are very dusty. So far as I am aware, Jardines are NOT powder down birds, even though they are native to Africa ("Old World"). There may be other reasons to not keep them with an Electus, but dust is not a significant factor.
Oops! I stand corrected about the Jardines.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any and every bird has a potential monster hiding inside them. It all depends on how deep it’s hiding, lol.

Hormones can be rough on every bird, and many birds who are poop heads are only really poop heads when they’re battling those sex hormones. It’s biology. But behavior isn’t all biological.

Cockatoos have a rap for being jerks- and not because it’s unearned. However, what I will say is that many are jerks because they’re highly misunderstood and many owners are not well versed in setting and maintaining boundaries that they need to be successful in captivity.
That snuggly, cooing sweet bird that you picked up and packed all over the house and kept telling it what a good bird it is for the first couple months you had it? Well, now you’ve created a screaming rage baby that doesn’t understand why it can’t be out all the time riding around on your shoulder and eating the food out of your mouth every second of every minute that you’re in view. But doesn’t the bird understand that now you need to get back to normal and go back to work? No. No it doesn’t understand.

Many people say large Toos are like perpetual toddlers. I highly disagree. Toddlers have more reasoning capability.
A too wants what it wants, and wants it now!
If you’re a person who struggles with setting firm rules and expectations, you may not be a great fit for a too that needs boundaries.

I think ‘toos are still the number 1 bird surrendered to rescue-and they’ve held that spot for years running.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Any and every bird has a potential monster hiding inside them. It all depends on how deep it’s hiding, lol.

Hormones can be rough on every bird, and many birds who are poop heads are only really poop heads when they’re battling those sex hormones. It’s biology. But behavior isn’t all biological.

Cockatoos have a rap for being jerks- and not because it’s unearned. However, what I will say is that many are jerks because they’re highly misunderstood and many owners are not well versed in setting and maintaining boundaries that they need to be successful in captivity.
That snuggly, cooing sweet bird that you picked up and packed all over the house and kept telling it what a good bird it is for the first couple months you had it? Well, now you’ve created a screaming rage baby that doesn’t understand why it can’t be out all the time riding around on your shoulder and eating the food out of your mouth every second of every minute that you’re in view. But doesn’t the bird understand that now you need to get back to normal and go back to work? No. No it doesn’t understand.

Many people say large Toos are like perpetual toddlers. I highly disagree. Toddlers have more reasoning capability.
A too wants what it wants, and wants it now!
If you’re a person who struggles with setting firm rules and expectations, you may not be a great fit for a too that needs boundaries.

I think ‘toos are still the number 1 bird surrendered to rescue-and they’ve held that spot for years running.
Great post. I'll second all of it.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Another clarification, Eclectus are also old world birds. Haahaa
Cockatoos are just to smart for their own good which means they are stubborn. As babies they are sweet little loving things and so people just cuddle and love on them way too much. Too much? Yes a baby that is given too much attention gets very used to it and then does not know what is going on when the attention gets cut due to life changes, schedule changes, or newness wears off. Pair that emotional intelligence, loud voice with hormones and you have the potential of a little monster. Some cockatoo species seem to be "better" than others but there is no guarantee. I say that you get the bird you want and be prepared for anything.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Another clarification, Eclectus are also old world birds. Haahaa
Yes, but as mentioned in the article I linked, Eclectus are non-dusty and particularly prone to issues with dust from other birds.

Seems like we ought to just throw out the "old-world/new world" shorthand and just refer to individual species as "dusty/non-dusty".

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Love the Dusty/Non-Dusty

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
All birds are dusty, to some extent. They produce a fine dander that can be irritating regardless of species. There are no truely dust-free birds.

Powder down is the real issue. It significantly amplifies the "dust" and increases the risk of breathing issues, especially if the bird is kept indoors or in a poorly ventilated space. You can reduce dust in a variety of ways, like frequent baths, using an air purifier, and wiping down surfaces to remove settled dust from the environment.