• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Interacting with my new cockatiel- need help?

ares

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ares
In my previous posts, I was talking about adopting a third cockatiel from a neglected home. Well, surprise! We now have Rivers "Buddy Holly" Cuomo! PXL_20230114_073208261.jpg
That's him being taken out of his transport cage and into his Chonky Big Cage.

Now Rivers is a joyful little singer, absolutely adores when we come to sing to him or when he hears the other cockatiels join him in chorus. However... He is extremely hand frightful. I assume from his previous home. He's absolutely fine singing to my face but the moment my hands come out, instant aggression and trying to bite at the cage bars. This is proving to be difficult as we wanted to take him for a check up ASAP and start building a good bond. However just our hands and arms being in his presence sets him off. He had gotten out of his cage a few times and according to my spouse, will swoop down and start nipping at their ears and neck despite my partner not doing anything but sitting there away from him.

I've heard a few people suggest clipping his wings so he's less aggressive but I've never clipped any of my boys. I'm unsure of what I could do besides giving him time. But I feel like more time passes, the less he will want to spend time with us. Any input?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am not a fan of clipping. The goal is to build trust and clipping is more like forced dependency. It's also better mentally and physically for them to be flighted. I would start trying to hand feed him treats through the cage bars. Millet spray is good for this because it's long and he doesn't have to get too close to fingers. Then you can start shortening the millet spray. Also you can look into target training and maybe teaching him to step up on a perch for now since he's so afraid of hands. Thank you for helping him.

ares

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ares
I would start trying to hand feed him treats through the cage bars. Millet spray is good for this
It seems like none of my cockatiels, hell, none of my birds like millet. I've tried over the years but they try it and are not receptive of it. Any other ideas?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It seems like none of my cockatiels, hell, none of my birds like millet. I've tried over the years but they try it and are not receptive of it. Any other ideas?
Sunflower seeds? Any fruits or veg you’ve found that works? Rice?

ares

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ares
Sunflower seeds? Any fruits or veg you’ve found that works? Rice?
Rice is something they go crazy over, same with plain popcorn. However, I'm unsure of how to give these treats to Rivers because unlike millet spray, theres no length to continue shortening.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
@Mizzely might have any idea but I can't think of any treat that has length :chin:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Put a bowl on the side of the cage that is only for treats. When you walk past the cage, drop a treat in the bowl :)

ares

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ares
Oooh that'd genius! Ill try that

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's what I did when I had an untame Quaker. Helped associate me with good things. I literally didn't even try to do anything else. Just, "Hi Bobber, who's a good boy?" Treat, and walk away. No pressure for them to perform or deal with scary hands. :)

Reactions: tka

ares

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ares
It's what I did when I had an untame Quaker. Helped associate me with good things. I literally didn't even try to do anything else. Just, "Hi Bobber, who's a good boy?" Treat, and walk away. No pressure for them to perform or deal with scary hands. :)
And he eventually got comfortable with you? My budgies aren't particularly tame but I do something similar with them, they have these weeds they love to eat and know when I come by I come bearing them. So they dont freak out!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
And he eventually got comfortable with you? My budgies aren't particularly tame but I do something similar with them, they have these weeds they love to eat and know when I come by I come bearing them. So they dont freak out!
He never became fully tame but he would hang out on shoulders and take food from me and talk with me etc :)

ares

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ares
He never became fully tame but he would hang out on shoulders and take food from me and talk with me etc :)
Thats amazing though! I know Rivers is tamed because he did get along with the very young daughter of the person we got him from and was ignored by her when she got older.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Rice is something they go crazy over, same with plain popcorn. However, I'm unsure of how to give these treats to Rivers because unlike millet spray, theres no length to continue shortening.
If Rivers likes plain popcorn it may work to spear a piece on a bamboo skewer to offer from a distance.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Oh you got him then :heart:
Congratulations
As if non of them like millet all my four go nuts for it have you tried hanging it in their cages first to have a good try ?
what about nutriberries mine live them sunflower seeds but as you say doesn’t help with shy birds dried chilles are a favourite here too

love @Winn idea

ares

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ares
Oh you got him then :heart:
Congratulations
As if non of them like millet all my four go nuts for it have you tried hanging it in their cages first to have a good try ?
what about nutriberries mine live them sunflower seeds but as you say doesn’t help with shy birds dried chilles are a favourite here too

love @Winn idea
I've tried hanging the millet but to no avail, they just don't care for it and don't really eat it in their seed mix either. However, they love fruits or whatever I'm eating.

ares

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ares
Here's an update regarding Rivers! I tried the method that @Mizzely suggested with the treat bowl, and he was super receptive to it. He started wanting my attention actively but wasn't okay with me up close. So I started spending hours sitting next to him and "sharing my food" aka giving him treats and pretending it was my food :roflmao: He'd have the apples and banana off my brekkie, a few sunflower seeds, popcorn, rice... And then I started feeding him through the cage bar with my fingers. And it's worked so far! He's still extremely hand frightful but he wants to spend time and whistle to me.

I think he views my hands as a seperate entity to me as he will "defend" me from my own hands when I am scratching my face. He had his first prolonged out of cage time with us this morning and is a cuddler. Slowly but surely! He's learnt to step up on our arms, but will run up to our shoulder as our arms are too close to the hands.

Any new ideas on hand desensitization? Thanks y'all :D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That part I can't help you with haha. My Hahns was also a " terrified of hands cuddler " :p

ares

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ares
Another update regarding Rivers! He still is hand frightful but does understand that we have hands and use them haha. He loves watching us type. I've learnt he is probably the most well behaved of my birds. He can step up and fly to us when we call for him (either by whistling the chorus to Buddy Holly or just saying "Rivers!" with an arm out). He also is our best vocalist.

The new problem is introducing him to the other boys. He likes them but doesn't understand personal space. Any ideas?

ares

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ares
BTW! took him to the vet- he is perfect health wise.