• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Intensely Itchy BE2

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
Hello, hoping someone can suggest a homeopathic treatment we can try while waiting for vet appointment on Monday (I actually have 2 appts booked as the soonest I could get in is with a new vet and not sure if will like her). So, our bare eye is 6 years with no history of plucking and no fears of new places (he travels well). We moved to a new home and he started itching and scratching non stop. And picking the down underneath... We do have a water softener and he did get in the shower with my hubby once so I'm wondering if that caused it? Our budgie bathed too but she is not itchy at all. Can I spritz anything on him to moisten his skin or anything? I'm going to rinse him in bottled spring water tonight but he needs relief... I think he will be bald by Monday! :( *also posted in 911*

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I've heard chamomile tea or diluted aloe juice misted onto the skin helps soothe pluckers. Wishing your little guy gets better soon!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I used to make a mixture of water, Aloe juice, chamomile tea, and benedryle in my mister.
The aloe and chamomile were soothers and the benedryle had her dozing a bit.
It was mixture given me by an avian vet for intense plucking.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The new environment is one factor. The age of your bird is another factor. Your bird is a very young adult. Things like hormones are going to play a much bigger role.

Plucking is a very complicated issue with a million factors. The first order of business is to rule out medical issues. Then behaviour, environment and diet are examined.

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
I've heard chamomile tea or diluted aloe juice misted onto the skin helps soothe pluckers. Wishing your little guy gets better soon!
I like the chamomile and aloe idea

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
The new environment is one factor. The age of your bird is another factor. Your bird is a very young adult. Things like hormones are going to play a much bigger role.

Plucking is a very complicated issue with a million factors. The first order of business is to rule out medical issues. Then behaviour, environment and diet are examined.
Thank you. Got blood tests back today and all normal. Diet hasn't changed with exception of some different treats here and there. Can they develop food allergies suddenly?

Vet didn't notice any signs of mites but I'm laying down white paper towels at night to double check for any red dots.... May treat for mites just in case we picked some up on a toy or something (simple treatment to rule that out anyway).

Then we will start with treatments like antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and possibly antihistamine. And I ordered a plucking vest too! I will try the chamomile tea spray as well.

Any other suggestions please throw them my way.
If none of that works we move up to skin biopsy, to check for inflammation.

Last edited:

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
I used to make a mixture of water, Aloe juice, chamomile tea, and benedryle in my mister.
The aloe and chamomile were soothers and the benedryle had her dozing a bit.
It was mixture given me by an avian vet for intense plucking.
I would love the recipe & ratios if you still have it?

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
Yes, I think I will try that the next few days while they get his meds together and I get a 2nd opinion from the certified avian vet (hard to get an appt there due to Covid).

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I knew I'd find it! I went back to a thread from 2011 and found the dosage I used. This is extracted from 3 of my posts there.
The thread if you're interested is Seb's plucking getting worse?

When my Goffin has a bad plucking spell I add Pure Aloe Vera juice to water. I'll brew some chamomile tea, and add that also to the mixture. In super bad cases I've added a drop or two of baby benedryl also.

Yes, it is safe for birds, my Avian Vet is the one who gave me the measurements to use. He offered my the shots for my Too's hormonal plucking, but I didn't want to go there. So he told me to try the misting spray, and add the Benedryl when she got bad.

I've been doing this for 17 years. It's not something she's on regularly, I only start it when she's plucking badly. Also don't forget, from the Benedryl you put in the mister, all your bird's getting is what's sprayed onto the feathers.

You can also add it too the water bottle if you want.

I'll look up the amounts to use, and post it once I find it.

I just checked my 'saved' stuff, and the amount is 1 cc per 4 ounces water. This is for drinking water. For putting in a mister, you can judge for yourself how much to add.

This is the dosage for my Goffin Too. I am not sure whether a Teil is OK with the same amount. My vet just gave me the dosage, you could try and call one yourself.

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
Thank you for the recipe. Had a 2nd avian certified visit and unknown diagnosis. Bloodwork fine. Treated for mites just in case (ivermectin injection), on antibiotics and inflammatory and they charged me for aloe spray but forgot to give it in the bag (stupid me for not checking)... so I need to grab an aloe plant or juice at the store today and make my own spray until we can fetch the one we paid for.. unfortunately bird Is still crazy itchy. After 1.5 days of treatment. They said he is mostly making sores on left side of chest which can be indicative of heart issues but he also picks back and thighs. Weirdly he does it mostly when he is OUT of his cage -WTH???? We also have a plucking vest arriving Monday - hope Charlie will tolerate it!
PS: what brand aloe juice do you use for your spray or do you squeeze your own?

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I wish you all the best. Sometimes I think the Benadryl was the deciding factor in reduced plucking.

While the aloe and chamomile calmed her skin, the Benadryl kept her relaxed and dozing which allowed healing to begin.

I also only used it in the misting liquid, I didn't add it to drinking water.

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
I wish you all the best. Sometimes I think the Benadryl was the deciding factor in reduced plucking.

While the aloe and chamomile calmed her skin, the Benadryl kept her relaxed and dozing which allowed healing to begin.

I also only used it in the misting liquid, I didn't add it to drinking water.
I would like to try that but not sure if I should while he is on the anti inflamatory. Will check on monday with vet. This bird will hate me when the meds are done! He hates the awful liquids. LoL.
20200820_163651.jpg

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
I knew I'd find it! I went back to a thread from 2011 and found the dosage I used. This is extracted from 3 of my posts there.
The thread if you're interested is Seb's plucking getting worse?

When my Goffin has a bad plucking spell I add Pure Aloe Vera juice to water. I'll brew some chamomile tea, and add that also to the mixture. In super bad cases I've added a drop or two of baby benedryl also.

Yes, it is safe for birds, my Avian Vet is the one who gave me the measurements to use. He offered my the shots for my Too's hormonal plucking, but I didn't want to go there. So he told me to try the misting spray, and add the Benedryl when she got bad.

I've been doing this for 17 years. It's not something she's on regularly, I only start it when she's plucking badly. Also don't forget, from the Benedryl you put in the mister, all your bird's getting is what's sprayed onto the feathers.

You can also add it too the water bottle if you want.

I'll look up the amounts to use, and post it once I find it.

I just checked my 'saved' stuff, and the amount is 1 cc per 4 ounces water. This is for drinking water. For putting in a mister, you can judge for yourself how much to add.

This is the dosage for my Goffin Too. I am not sure whether a Teil is OK with the same amount. My vet just gave me the dosage, you could try and call one yourself.
I was reading your past link and wonder now if I should have either vet check him for giardia? Does it cause intense itchiness in toos also? One would think the vets would have brought it up... ? Not sure how he would get it other than a tainted food from cage bottom?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't know too much about it, especially in birds.
It wouldn't hurt to bring it up with your vet.
Though it's usually passed in contaminated water, or direct feces contact.
Not sure how your bird would have caught it.

By the way, have you switched to bottled water to make sure it's not the softened water causing it?
Don't mist or bathe him with the softened water either until your sure it's not the culprit.

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
I don't know too much about it, especially in birds.
It wouldn't hurt to bring it up with your vet.
Though it's usually passed in contaminated water, or direct feces contact.
Not sure how your bird would have caught it.

By the way, have you switched to bottled water to make sure it's not the softened water causing it?
Don't mist or bathe him with the softened water either until your sure it's not the culprit.
He does not drink the softened water, only had two showers in it. We use bottled spring water from Nestle Ready Refresh for us and pets to drink! :) We've used it for years since we moved several times and changes of water are not good for pets GI. Plus I don't trust the public water sources and old pipes in rentals! Lol
He had two baths in plain distilled water since the showers in the softened water. We had a 2 gal jug of it so used it in his bathing tub in case he had something on him. Didn't help at all...