• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Inspired by all the recent clicker training posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
I've had Chaucer for 2 months now; in that time, I hadn't formally clicker trained him. I had praised and rewarded him when he was doing nice things and behaving, and so I was able to get him to fly to me, fly to my bf, step up sporadically. (WHICH is GREAT, of course!!:p)

But I had purchased a parrot basketball toy that came with a clicker. And with everyone else's posts, I was motivated to use it.

Today was the first day:

I followed the clicker training 101 lessons.........and after 2 sessions of about 10-20 minutes, I've gotten him to turn around, shake, and target!! I even managed to combo a shake and turn around :dancing::dance5::laughing12: yaya!! of course, it's not perfect (I can't just say turn around or shake without doing the associated hand gestures), and when my bf tried to record it, he got nervous and stopped. I can't wait to post a video!! I hope soon he will step on me without lots of coaxing!!

I did find the clicker sound really hones in his attention. Previously, I had been using "good boy" to turn around but that gave limited results.

PS: I used almond slivers (which I cut myself) and dried papaya.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
That is awesome! Good job! Yes, because the clicker is a bridge that always predicts food it makes it very distinct and specific, unlike our voices which predicts many things.

I've had Chaucer for 2 months now; in that time, I hadn't formally clicker trained him. I had praised and rewarded him when he was doing nice things and behaving, and so I was able to get him to fly to me, fly to my bf, step up sporadically. (WHICH is GREAT, of course!!:p)

But I had purchased a parrot basketball toy that came with a clicker. And with everyone else's posts, I was motivated to use it.

Today was the first day:

I followed the clicker training 101 lessons.........and after 2 sessions of about 10-20 minutes, I've gotten him to turn around, shake, and target!! I even managed to combo a shake and turn around :dancing::dance5::laughing12: yaya!! of course, it's not perfect (I can't just say turn around or shake without doing the associated hand gestures), and when my bf tried to record it, he got nervous and stopped. I can't wait to post a video!! I hope soon he will step on me without lots of coaxing!!

I did find the clicker sound really hones in his attention. Previously, I had been using "good boy" to turn around but that gave limited results.

PS: I used almond slivers (which I cut myself) and dried papaya.

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
UPDATE: Since I started clicker training Chaucer, he seems a bit more manageable. He is allowing me to put the harness loop over his head without resisting now. SPECTACULAR!! I'm excited to start moving to putting the harness through his wings, but I'm going to wait a couple of weeks because I don't want him to be frightened like the time prior to clicker training.

ShirleyBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cimber
:dance4: I'm so glad it works for you! I can't say enough good things about the clicker..my girls don't do tricks , but they DO seem to listen better when the clicker is involved, it's an unmistakable"GOOD JOB" and they always get extremely excited..Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see video!:)

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
Great job! I found clicker training helped make my Senegal who was a biter more manageable too. It's the relationship building that it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.