• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Inky Updates

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
October for Inky and me brings ear problems. She has had heavy wax in ears since adoption. She started scratching the pina until bleeding. Also painful for my attempts to clean them.

I took her to a different vet because the first one was old school in spades. Inky has a large amount of debris in inner ears. Also infection which was not picked up by first vet.

Vet showed me how to hold her to administer antibiotic/anti
Itch drops, twice a day for 10 days. She hates it! Then another 10 days of daily ear wash, or cleaner.

Watching youtube videos helped me find a better position for doing this. I wrap her in a burrito style towel. It is now easier on her and me. Poor little girl cries though. I give her treats before and after and she appears to forget the trauma.

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to hear about this. Sounds like you have it well in hand now though!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I can tell she is not quite herself. Only eats half of breakfast at first then rest later on. Cats do get stressed out easily as do their humans. Gotta get rid of that stull in ear for once and all.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Kitty ear infections are horribly uncomfortable for them, and generally put them off their feed. They feel sick and they hurt. What we have found that helps is adding a little bit of bone broth to their food. It makes it taste better, and easier to eat, and it adds nutrients. We don't add a lot. Just enough to soften food slightly. Not enough to make the kibble mushy. Though if she likes wet food you can add enough to make it mushy.

Good luck to you and Inky. May she feel better quickly. :hug8:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Inky! I’m sorry you are both going through this :( I hope she will be feeling better very soon!

My old cat, Mo, hated anything we had to do to/for him. I had to use the burrito technique for nail trims. Just one paw sticking out at a time! Lol!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor sweet Inky,I'm sorry to hear she's not feeling well. I hope the infection clears up soon and she gets to feeling better :heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I will put bone broth on my grocery list. Thanks. She has dry food in am and then wet for noon and pm. Vets now advise more wet food for cats than dry. I put oxyfresh in her drinking water and give her dental treats with a gel tooth cleaner on top like a little cup cake. Vet said her teeth are pearly white and to keep doing it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The vet called me with the same question today. She was very loving today and not scratching ears. He said they are finding that cats having excessive ear wax is genetic which means this will be a chronic problem for her. It will never be cured! The antibiotic drops will be completed at friday pm dose. Then the ear washes begin. 2 to 3 times per week i put the solution in her ears and then let her shake it out. Vet said not to dry inside of pina or ear flap. I asked about possible yeast growth in ears and he replied the solution i bought had yeast "R" wordent. We dont want to fight yeast! So the ear washes will continue until he thinks its ok to go to a less frequent routine. He wants to check her ears 2 or 3 times a year unless she starts scratching again. I was hoping it would just clear up and go away.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That spelling of re tar dent wont show as one word for some reason. So i broke it up so it makes more sense to you. Yeast re tar dent.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
She is so pretty.

Dania

Strolling the yard
So pretty. I have a weakness for beautiful eyes.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
She is a total cutie pie for sure!!! :heart: :xflove:

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
What a beautiful young lady and so fetching in her new collar. :)