• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Injury (cut of some kind), how worried should I be?

BirdOmens

Moving in
Hi all,
I came home today to discover that Merry, one of my two, 2.5-year-old male budgies, has a wound on his cheek. I'm not sure how bad it is, as he's hidden it from me under his feathers, and I don't want to freak him out by grabbing him. It doesn't appear to be actively bleeding. He's still active and eating, participating in normal behaviours with his cage mate Pippin, and there doesn't appear to be any damage to his beak, eye, etc. Tried to take a picture, you can see the blood on his right side, near the skin.
Is a trip to the vet recommended, or will it heal on its own? Is it possible that Pippin did this to him, or is it more likely he hurt himself on something in the cage?

Thanks all

Attachments

BirdOmens

Moving in
I'll post this in case it's useful for anyone in the future: I discovered today that it's likely Pippin injured Merry, they have (apparently) been fighting rather viciously over a favourite toy. I have removed the toy (much to their displeasure), and everything seems fine now.

I decided not to bring Merry to the vet, because he's still behaving normally (eating and drinking, playing, chattering, etc), he's active and doesn't appear to be in pain (I've noticed Pippin grooming his face several times today), he's not bleeding at all, and finally, because handling Merry stresses him out supremely (screaming, biting, all kinds of drama): I felt the cost to him outweighed the benefit. I will observe him carefully over the next few days and reevaluate this decision if need be, and keep an eye on his interactions with Pippin to make sure they're done their squabbling.